• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheltenham Festival 2022

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
First race on Day 1 is about to start. I’ve taken the advantage of SkyBet’s risk free bet for this one. My £20 has gone on Jonbon at 6/1.

Anyone else having a flutter?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Here, FWIW, are my choices for today:

1:30 Dysart Dynamo
2:10 Edwardstone
2:50 Our Power
3:30 Honeysuckle
4:10 Telmesomthinggirl
4:50 Gaelic Warrior
5:30 Stattler

Good luck one and all!

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Here, FWIW, are my choices for today:

1:30 Dysart Dynamo
2:10 Edwardstone
2:50 Our Power
3:30 Honeysuckle
4:10 Telmesomthinggirl
4:50 Gaelic Warrior
5:30 Stattler

Good luck one and all!
Three from seven so not too bad.

Huge gamble on Gaelic Warrior just foiled by the narrowest margin. I had picked him out as a blot on the handicap and 11/1 overnight made him my big hope of the day. When it opened at 6/4 I looked elsewhere.

Edwardstone very impressive after meeting some early interference. Honeysuckle very good too but the 2 mile hurdling division looks weak at present.

Made a bit each way on Gericault Roque at 11/1 but being 5 pounds out of the weights probably made the difference. Looks a Grand National horse for the future.

Record first day crowd, decent weather and great to be back after the 2021 crowdless meeting.

Just a shame to miss the Crawley game.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Three from seven so not too bad.

Huge gamble on Gaelic Warrior just foiled by the narrowest margin. I had picked him out as a blot on the handicap and 11/1 overnight made him my big hope of the day. When it opened at 6/4 I looked elsewhere.

Edwardstone very impressive after meeting some early interference. Honeysuckle very good too but the 2 mile hurdling division looks weak at present.

Made a bit each way on Gericault Roque at 11/1 but being 5 pounds out of the weights probably made the difference. Looks a Grand National horse for the future.

Record first day crowd, decent weather and great to be back after the 2021 crowdless meeting.

Just a shame to miss the Crawley game.
Are you there for all four days Al? Would have loved to have seen Honeysuckle. Not sure she was at her brilliant best yesterday but was happy enough to see her win, given de Bromhead had gone more than a fortnight without a winner and, ominously, his two runners in the Arkle, both of which could have been given a squeak, finished tailed off.

I'm still a bit gutted about yesterday. Aside from a super heinz on the horses above, I also played the following horses in the placepot and jackpot.

By my reckoning, from 10 horses, I've had five winners [5-2, 10-1, 8-11, 10-1 and 2-1], two seconds, a fifth, two fallers [one of which, Dysart Dynamo, was travelling better than the eventual winner IMHO] and somehow contrived to make a small loss. :-(

Never mind, we go again as they say!

74E33057-4CA9-4395-BA35-3FFF29810834.jpeg

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
So, here are the horses going in my super heinz today:

1:30 Sir Gerhard
2:10 L'Homme Presse
2:50 Saint Felicien
3:30 Energumene
4:10 Tiger Roll
4:50 Andy Dufresne
5:30 American Mike

Good luck to anyone having a punt!

Alistair20000

Are you there for all four days Al? Would have loved to have seen Honeysuckle. Not sure she was at her brilliant best yesterday but was happy enough to see her win, given de Bromhead had gone more than a fortnight without a winner and, ominously, his two runners in the Arkle, both of which could have been given a squeak, finished tailed off.

I'm still a bit gutted about yesterday. Aside from a super heinz on the horses above, I also played the following horses in the placepot and jackpot.

By my reckoning, from 10 horses, I've had five winners [5-2, 10-1, 8-11, 10-1 and 2-1], two seconds, a fifth, two fallers [one of which, Dysart Dynamo, was travelling better than the eventual winner IMHO] and somehow contrived to make a small loss. :-(

Never mind, we go again as they say!
Just yesterday. I usually go on Gold Cup day but changed to Champion Hurdle day this year.

Shocking weather today looking at the TV. It was dry and not at all cold yesterday.

Constitution Hill v Honeysuckle something to savour for 2023; or earlier at Punchestown in April.

I don't think Dysart Dynamo would have won if it had stood up. Constitution Hill is a monster and broke the course record.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Shishkin blew out my treble.

We go again tomorrow.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just yesterday. I usually go on Gold Cup day but changed to Champion Hurdle day this year.

Shocking weather today looking at the TV. It was dry and not at all cold yesterday.

Constitution Hill v Honeysuckle something to savour for 2023; or earlier at Punchestown in April.

I don't think Dysart Dynamo would have won if it had stood up. Constitution Hill is a monster and broke the course record.
Defo best watched on the TV today.

Of course, we'll never know what would have happened had Dysart Dynamo stood up but I thought he was travelling just the better of the two when he fell. The Racing Post comments were as follows:
Took keen hold, led, not fluent 1st, not fluent 2nd, joined after 5th, going easily when fell heavily 3 out (tchd 2/1)
Plainly, it all depends on the odds but if the two were to meet again and Dysart Dynamo was the longer price I know where my money would go.

Alistair20000

So, here are the horses going in my super heinz today:

1:30 Sir Gerhard Win 8/11
2:10 L'Homme Presse Win 9/4
2:50 Saint Felicien Pulled Up
3:30 Energumene Win 5/2
4:10 Tiger Roll Second 3/1
4:50 Andy Dufresne Second 10/3
5:30 American Mike Second 5/2

Good luck to anyone having a punt!
Very impressive punting (y) but I make you down if betting to win but up a bit if betting each way.

Just one of the placed horses winning would have made a huge difference

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Shishkin blew out my treble.

We go again tomorrow.
Yeah, he was a big disappointment wasn't he? Can't have it that it was solely the ground, given he's won on heavy going previously.

I wonder if the Clarence House bottomed him - appreciate he won, but it seemed to me he was just out of his comfort zone all the way, while as Energumene had a relatively easy race until the final furlong or so. Touch wood this isn't the case, but can't help thinking back to the epic Ascot clash between Altior and Cyrname, after which it seemed to me neither horse was quite the same again.