• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheick Diabate

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bring back George Ray ?
He has become a "barrow boy" these days ! :p

andrew p long

Love Cheick think he’s going onto bigger things.

Regarding this contract news though - he signed until the end of next season last year and the club had the option of a 1 year extension so it’s not quite what it’s being made out to be as a “2 year extension”

I’m actually concerned that this means he doesn’t want to stick around for longer - we will probably have to sell in January to get him at his peak value. Shame.
This concerned me too. I fear that Cheick has seen what has happened to Josh Key - still here. When in each of the previous two transfer windows City rejected offers that would mean Josh would now be playing in the Championship (and on mega wages compared to ECFC). Do other players look at that and think 'gosh I'd better not sign too long a contract with ECFC,lest they block my upward progression'?

And now Alfie Pond - who is one heck of a prospect too - wants away too.

Banksy

This concerned me too. I fear that Cheick has seen what has happened to Josh Key - still here. When in each of the previous two transfer windows City rejected offers that would mean Josh would now be playing in the Championship (and on mega wages compared to ECFC). Do other players look at that and think 'gosh I'd better not sign too long a contract with ECFC,lest they block my upward progression'?

The joys and pains of the system we operate I’m afraid , the joy Ollie , the pain Alfie with with the Jordan Storeys in between. It’s a ruthless old game especially if you’re at the swamp end of the pecking order but we’ve chosen it as our way of surviving financially so we have to put up with it.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster

Andrew, possibly you are right. However, whilst we are a selling club and whilst we will always let players leave. When will their agents and those who advise them understand that they wont get the moves they think they should get UNLESS the club are properly compensated for years of painstaking development. Bigger clubs will always fill the heads of young players with dreams of untold (relativly) wealth but this shouldn't be at the expense of the club getting screwed by the bigger boys. I'm certain that the 'deal/s' for Josh were well below the levels speculated on here otherwise he wouldn't be here now. As for Pondy a boy yet to make his debut - Words fail me me

Pete Martin (CTID)

Andrew, possibly you are right. However, whilst we are a selling club and whilst we will always let players leave. When will their agents and those who advise them understand that they wont get the moves they think they should get UNLESS the club are properly compensated for years of painstaking development. Bigger clubs will always fill the heads of young players with dreams of untold (relativly) wealth but this shouldn't be at the expense of the club getting screwed by the bigger boys. I'm certain that the 'deal/s' for Josh were well below the levels speculated on here otherwise he wouldn't be here now. As for Pondy a boy yet to make his debut - Words fail me me
Same with Jay Stansfield and, some years ago, Sean Goss?? At least we did see Ethan (a few times).

andrew p long

So Cheickh's progress continues with a full 95 minutes in the first League One game. Difficult to believe he was playing four tiers lower up until December.

And got the second best ECFC player rating from a Lincoln fan site, despite the fact he could have done better re the goal conceded.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cheick was outstanding last night, and after Saturday when KMT singled him out what a player he is turning out to be. Strong, fast doesn't get phased, good distribution. I wonder if Stevenage have any more hidden little gems (a striker perhaps) they would like us to have, somebody must be kicking themselves for letting him slip through?

At the start of the season I thought it would be a back three of Sweenz Stubbs and Hartridge, but on current form it's Sweenz that could be missing out, when Sam comes back fully fit, at the moment though Sam is finding it difficult to break up the back three. With Jamal Messi in goal our defence is looking quite imperious.

Cheick will be our next big sale, probably in January ahead of Alex, Josh, Jack, and even Jevani, once he has ironed out the few errors in his game (of which there are very few). So Stevenage if you're reading more please

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Cheick was outstanding last night, and after Saturday when KMT singled him out what a player he is turning out to be. Strong, fast doesn't get phased, good distribution. I wonder if Stevenage have any more hidden little gems (a striker perhaps) they would like us to have, somebody must be kicking themselves for letting him slip through?

At the start of the season I thought it would be a back three of Sweenz Stubbs and Hartridge, but on current form it's Sweenz that could be missing out, when Sam comes back fully fit, at the moment though Sam is finding it difficult to break up the back three. With Jamal Messi in goal our defence is looking quite imperious.

Cheick will be our next big sale, probably in January ahead of Alex, Josh, Jack, and even Jevani, once he has ironed out the few errors in his game (of which there are very few). So Stevenage if you're reading more please
Cheick's reading of the game has come on leaps and bounds. Seems to be in the right place all the time, without going further and talking about ability.

I've got to take issue with a couple of points though...

Stubbsy is an amazing player, but on the form of those wearing the shirt right now, he's only getting in through injury or suspension. Unfair on Sweenz was that.

With regards to whose next out the door, form may well play a part, but I'd suggest contract length is going to be more significant.

Yes we want more bodies in the door, but jeez, 1st Sept can't come quickly enough with regards to keeping hold of people.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cheick's reading of the game has come on leaps and bounds. Seems to be in the right place all the time, without going further and talking about ability.

I've got to take issue with a couple of points though...

Stubbsy is an amazing player, but on the form of those wearing the shirt right now, he's only getting in through injury or suspension. Unfair on Sweenz was that.

With regards to whose next out the door, form may well play a part, but I'd suggest contract length is going to be more significant.

Yes we want more bodies in the door, but jeez, 1st Sept can't come quickly enough with regards to keeping hold of people.
Agree absolutely, and just to defend my point I did state that Sam is finding it difficult to break up the back three. Sweenz was also a rock last night, and his game seems to be improving since re-signing, as does Alex Hartridge who covered Jack really well last night when Jack went on his forays .

Get the signings done and then roll on 1st Sept ASAP

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
How good is it that we're discussing whether Stubbs can get back in the side?!

Diabate was a monster last night.