• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheick Diabate

Average Joe

Never buy the Sun after Hillsborough don't think many copies are sold on Merseyside.
Sadly Rupert Murdoch owns many many journals, publications and other businesses. I don't read the Sun but I do listen to talk sport, same thing really

Pobbop

Thought he was immense today, with Sweenz having an odd off day, really think he's commanding as the central of the 3.

Trapdoor

Thought he was immense today, with Sweenz having an odd off day, really think he's commanding as the central of the 3.
Yeah he's clearly a CB, but there's no way he's getting that central spot ahead of Stubbs currently and we always need to play 5 at the back these days.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
That wasn't a Sweenz off day. Sweenz off days usually result in car crash football.

andrew p long

Great to hear (I'll watch the full game later on ifollow)

Cheickh looks like a natural No5, to develop into the role as cover for Stubbs now and then eventually replace him (and fill in as cover when needed elsewhere in the back three)

PS got the 'most improved player' award for the 21-22 season. Presumably they were unsure about whether at age 20 he could be 'young player of the year' which is the award I thought he'd get

Rosencrantz

Cheickh looks like a natural No5, to develop into the role as cover for Stubbs now and then eventually replace him (and fill in as cover when needed elsewhere in the back three)

PS got the 'most improved player' award for the 21-22 season. Presumably they were unsure about whether at age 20 he could be 'young player of the year' which is the award I thought he'd get
Young Player of Year I'd for u18's I think looking at past winners and years they won it.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
That wasn't a Sweenz off day. Sweenz off days usually result in car crash football.
And, thankfully, considerably rarer than they used to be.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

I thought the way Cheick bounced back yesterday was absolutely outstanding. Yes, we were at home; yes, he was probably playing in his preferred position and yes he was helped by the calm of the more experienced players around him. However, this was still a huge game and he had also been the centre of a lot of media attention since his altercation with a ball boy. I said this on the matchday thread but if was a bigger club I'd be looking at Cheick's temperament, his mindset and his physical attributes and be very tempted to try and sign him.

andrew p long

... I said this on the matchday thread but if was a bigger club I'd be looking at Cheick's temperament, his mindset and his physical attributes and be very tempted to try and sign him.
I agree. We have frequently speculated about whether Cheickh is the next Jordan Storey; he looks like he has the same potential.

Two things may save us from losing him this summer. First that he has played most games out of position (as a right footer on the left of a back three, his distribution has looked less assured than that of, say, Alex Hartridge). Secondly Storey ended up playing (very well) in the high profile play off final at Wembley, where interested clubs/scouts could get an in depth view (let's hope/pray that Cheickh doesn't get play off experience!).

As things stand I don't think interested clubs will have seen enough to be willing to stump up/gamble the sort of money that City should/will demand.

Finally congrats to the club on getting him *in October* signed up for the next two years, well before his league debut.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree. We have frequently speculated about whether Cheickh is the next Jordan Storey; he looks like he has the same potential.

Two things may save us from losing him this summer. First that he has played most games out of position (as a right footer on the left of a back three, his distribution has looked less assured than that of, say, Alex Hartridge). Secondly Storey ended up playing (very well) in the high profile play off final at Wembley, where interested clubs/scouts could get an in depth view (let's hope/pray that Cheickh doesn't get play off experience!).

As things stand I don't think interested clubs will have seen enough to be willing to stump up/gamble the sort of money that City should/will demand.

Finally congrats to the club on getting him *in October* signed up for the next two years, well before his league debut.
We thought that about Joel Randall last season!