• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheick Diabate

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Anybody know how quick Cheickh is? I didn't see him threatened/beaten for pace last night, but perhaps that's because FGR didn't test that part of his game. The limiting factors on how far a young strong aerially dominant central defender can go are, in the modern game, pace and distribution. Divided views on here, but I'm with those who thought his distribution last night was fine.

Interesting comparison with Jordan Storey. There's not much in it age-wise for starting out. Storey made his debut when slightly younger but was six months older when he nailed down a first team spot. Whilst I can see that the club's plan would be for first team football later rather than sooner, there is just a possibility that, if Covid and injuries mean more game time in the next month or two that it then becomes his shirt to lose. I'm full of (mindless?) optimism on this.

Finally I was pleased to hear him name-ckeickhed by (older but out of usual position) Harry Kite as one of the players who talked Harry through the game. Leadership qualities too it seems.

dontpassback

I think check,is an ideal player to call on at times like these,he is young and he is still learning his trade,but I think we have a very good prospect on our hands and I hope he progresses well

STURTZ

Regarding his pace we have had many centre halves that are slow off the mark (Matt Taylor, Rob Edwards etc etc) but gain that extra yard through coaching and experience. Jordan Moore Taylor was often critiscised for lack of pace (and height and fitness!) but he seems to have developed into a solid and dependable central defender. He showeed as much last night, the fact that he was able to outpace Seymore when it seemed he was in on goal was a triumph for belief, determination and strength over a player who doesn't have those qualities.

Last edited:

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Regarding his pace we have had many centre halves that are slow off the mark (Matt Taylor, Rob Edwards etc etc) but gain that extra yard through coaching and experience. Jordan Moore Taylor was often critiscised for lack of pace (and height and fitness!) but he seems to have developed into a solid and dependable central defender. He showeed as much last night, the fact that he was able to outpace Seymore when it seemed he was in on goal was a triumph for belief, determination and strength over a player who doesn't have those qualities.
I think Seymour's confidence is probably in a place where he doesn't want to be put through on goal.

denzel

Could we stick him up front when Sweeney and Ray get back????

scottus86

Wouldn't be surprised to see him displace Sweeney. Sweeney has had a really good, solid season I'm just not sure he is what we need to get out the league or if we're to make it to league 1, he just won't be good enough.

Diabate is young and showing he is more than capable at league two.

We could see a completely different first choice defence by the end of the season and considering it was something like 19 games without a clean sheet, perhaps that's a good thing.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes.

Diabate is still only 19, won't be 20 for a couple of weeks. Jordan Storey was older than that when he started playing League games but was unusual in becoming a first choice so quickly. Dara O'Shea was a bit younger (still only 22) but he was on loan from a PL club and even he took quite a while to become a 1st team regular.

When everyone is fit he will not be a first team regular yet (Stubbs, Ray and Hartridge presumably the first choices) and maybe behind Sweeney and Grounds but he will get games and experience. Next season he will be an established first team player.
Also worth remembering that Diabate is probably a year behind in his development because he barely played any competitive football last season due to covid wiping out most of the non-league schedule.

CWH-NYC_

I was super impressed, looking forward to see him in action again, another gem on that showing in my view.

Grecianpasty

Would you improve your distribution if you played with non league players who don't move as cutely as ours do? This question is not loaded...
You've a better chance of doing so in the conference than conference South. And there's an argument to be made that half of the teams in the conference are better than the bottom half in league Two.

It isn't a criticism of the lad. It's a simple observation. I would guarantee MT would have told him to play the game simple, much like he did with hartidge, and as he has more game time there's no doubt he will become a better-rounded footballer.

He had a great game yesterday.

STURTZ

Alex hartridge came back from Truro as a much better player and now Diabate seems to be similarly improved. Actually pains me to say it but perhaps Paul wotton is good at developing young center backs? (I know I'm stamping on my own foot as I write this!):unsure: