• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheick Diabate

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think KMT will start Stubbs next week to look after Stockley. It would be a huge ask for Cheick.

Grounds to drop to the bench, Cheick to play on the left, Sweenz on the right.
I think it's what managers like to call 'a nice problem to have' - we have 5 centre-halves, all of whom arguably deserve selection when fit. Can you really drop Cheick? Can you really keep Stubbs on the bench if he's fit?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Talk of £2m value is OTT at the moment, as I said earlier we would be lucky to have got £500K in the window just gone and in January if he continues to put in the performances he has and improve his distribution, then he could be pushing £750 - £1m with add ons (to join the list of potential add ons)

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
I get your thinking - but Cheick isn't half as comfortable on the left or right. Both Grounds and Sweenz (and Hartridge) are more comfortable on the ball IMO and that better distribution down each side makes the team more balanced. I thought Grounds was really good on Saturday, as well as the other two.

But what do I know?! :)
Bang on Brinty.

Exehausted

Talk of £2m value is OTT at the moment, as I said earlier we would be lucky to have got £500K in the window just gone and in January if he continues to put in the performances he has and improve his distribution, then he could be pushing £750 - £1m with add ons (to join the list of potential add ons)
You don't think we would have got £500,000 for a player who has been outstanding since January, when we got £500,000 for 18 year old Alfie Pond with virtually no experience. Really?! I would imagine the club would turn down anything under £1,000,000 without thinking about it.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think it's what managers like to call 'a nice problem to have' - we have 5 centre-halves, all of whom arguably deserve selection when fit. Can you really drop Cheick? Can you really keep Stubbs on the bench if he's fit?
I think Saturday's decision will turn on who is really match fit.Stubbs didn't train this week, so his condition needs to improve significantly for him to start on Saturday.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
The key will be to get (at least) two top clubs in a bidding war.

Leads

Just needs to work on his forward passing? I think his passing is great, never under hit, good crisp passing. He doesn't take unnecessary risks or go for the Hollywood ball, he gives it easy. That's what you want from a centre half.

This is why I think he's better than Hartridge, who plays too many over hit balls when a simple pass is the better option.

Diabate is almost the complete centre half, great in the air, has pace, has excellent concentration, scores goals, and is hard as fook in a menacing way. No forward fancies it against him.
Trouble is, even attempting simple passes on Saturday he gave it away. I can think of one occasion that he hit it out of play under no pressure at all. When the bigger clubs looks at players now it is so stat based. They will be looking at markers such as pass completion rate and at the moment I'd say he's not quite there. I also wouldn't say he has that much pace. Sorry if I sound like I'm being a bit harsh- he's decent and has lot of potential, but I'd be surprised if he's off for a big money move soon. I thought Grigg was causing him some problems on Saturday, surprised to see him go off at h/t (injury)?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree...but bearing I'm mind how much time Stubbs seems to need between games to rest his knee then rotating the two in the centre seems to be the answer.

Grecianpasty

His main goal to work on would be carrying the ball forward in possession.

Harry Darling is a great example of a young player from League One who could do it best.

tom_ecfc

I thought Grigg was causing him some problems on Saturday, surprised to see him go off at h/t (injury)?
Just back from a hamstring injury.