• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheick Diabate

Boyo

Sorry but I disagree. In the system we play he simply isn't comfortable enough on the ball. If we play a back three who aren't expected to do anything but defend primarily then yes maybe.
It certainly demonstrates how good Sweeney is on the ball.

Ian Tarr

It certainly demonstrates how good Sweeney is on the ball.
Been saying this for years. And I've been mercilessly ridiculed for doing so.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Been saying this for years. And I've been mercilessly ridiculed for doing so.
Not by everyone.

Rosencrantz

One of those players that goes underappreciated until he is missing from the side.

andrew p long

I think I'm right in saying that in his last 3 appearances Cheikh has started in each of the 3 centre back positions - in the middle, on the right and on the left. Its amazing that a 20 year old is the one trusted with the responsibility of different (key) positions in League One games. Only 2 goals conceded in those games

He's some player. Already commands a League One regular start. How much further can he go?

Cowshed Grecian

I think I'm right in saying that in his last 3 appearances Cheikh has started in each of the 3 centre back positions - in the middle, on the right and on the left. Its amazing that a 20 year old is the one trusted with the responsibility of different (key) positions in League One games. Only 2 goals conceded in those games

He's some player. Already commands a League One regular start. How much further can he go?
Let’s not big him up too much, he’s playing in a 3 like you said. So he has two other lads to bail him out. I’m impressed with him reminds me of Eric Bailey-can be superb but then do something silly.

Bridgy 81

Let’s not big him up too much, he’s playing in a 3 like you said. So he has two other lads to bail him out. I’m impressed with him reminds me of Eric Bailey-can be superb but then do something silly.
I appreciate there’s a potential issue with over praising a young player in particular as either expectations can become too high or maybe a little complacency can creep in.
But in Cheick’s case I think he has done fantastically well so far.
When you think about it he hadn’t even played a first team game of any consequence until the turn of this year and now not only do we trust him to start on a regular basis he’s also being asked by Matt to be more positionally flexible than others with greater experience than him.
I think he’s a brilliant find.

jimbo-gould

I was quite surprised that when we reverted back to a back four when chasing the Cheltenham game that it was Stubbs taken off rather than Cheick, especially as there were a few in the crowd unhappy and voicing their opinion with regards to how he was playing. So although only briefly and when we largely were not doing much defending he has also played as a pair this season. Shows the faith MT has in him.

Rosencrantz

I was quite surprised that when we reverted back to a back four when chasing the Cheltenham game that it was Stubbs taken off rather than Cheick, especially as there were a few in the crowd unhappy and voicing their opinion with regards to how he was playing. So although only briefly and when we largely were not doing much defending he has also played as a pair this season. Shows the faith MT has in him.
I think that substitution would have more a fitness thing with Stubbs being eased back in than a straight choice. I am not worried about Cheick playing in a flat back four if we choose to play one. Any combo of Cheick/Sam/Alex/Sweenz would be a strong pairing.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
A fine display from Cheick on Saturday. A great defensive display and a thumping header for our WINNER. He has really stepped up this season and now looks undropable. Enjoy him whilst he is here!