• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheick Diabate

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
He has signed a contract extension.

A nice interview. I like Cheick and he seems to have the right attitude to succeed. Good luck to him.
Like Hartridge, it'd be good if he can add an extra half yard of pace to his game.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
A good interview from a hungry and motivated young professional. I look forward to him making his league debut. I am sure it won't be long!

SaintJames

I'm yet to be convinced and feel his passing and distribution is a bit agricultural from what I have seen. He has all the physical attributes but the modern game requires even the big cenner half to be able to play the ball on the deck. Just my view comparing him to his city contemporaries

budegrecian

A good interview from a hungry and motivated young professional. I look forward to him making his league debut. I am sure it won't be long!
Agree, if it's down to attitude he's not going to be found wanting. I'm sure he will develop the other necessary attributes to become a good centre half.
Anyway, congratulations on your new contract Cheick.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good news re the contract extension. I'm assuming he's now extended from the end of this season until the end of next (?).

Now starting to see the battles between successive generations/year groups of young defenders. Hartridge automatic first team choice,, Dyer has been first team cover, Diabate breathing down Dyer's neck, himself having Pond not far behind. Real battles for contracts.

Much impressed by Diabate's 'leaving home at 16 from South London to Devon was the hardesr thing I've ever done' Hope it continues to work out for him. Has nailed down a regular starting spot at Truro which, as others' experience out on loan shows, is an achievement (good of the club to announce this extension after his mistake leading to the penalty in the U23s game)

Red Devon

He comes across so focused and determined in what he has to do to succeed (y)

fred binneys head

Brilliant interview, what a lovely, down to earth young man. I’m hoping he keeps his feet on the ground though, not his head 🤣

Looking forward to seeing his league debut and then many more appearances 👍

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree great interview, came across as being very respectful, humble, grateful and spoke well with thought, as opposed to the cliché BS that's often rolled out in interviews.

I hope he makes it. He looks more than ready physically. I don't really care if his passing is currently a bit 'Agricultural'. Its not like we're used to watching ball playing centre half's at SJP!

andrew p long

(as partly reported elsewhere) scored for Truro last weekend. Seems like he is one of the first names on the Truro team sheet , and also tends to play all 95 minutes even when they use all 3 subs.

That's what we want to see from 19 year olds out on loan (turns 20 early next year). He seems to be amongst the best performing for his age (together with Iseguan and to a degree Harry Lee) of our current loaned out players.

(Truro have just signed a 19 year old Argyle central defender on loan for a month. I wonder what that is all about?)