• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheick Diabate

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't think he trusts himself enough yet when it comes to playing the ball forward. Very often yesterday he would turn back on himself and lay the ball back to Dawson.
Sounds like he'd fit well in centre defence for Aston Villa, judging by last night's game - when Mings (and Konsa/Hause) did this repeatedly!

Rosencrantz

Cheick has all the physical attributes and a fair bit of pace to go with it. Like others have said, Matt likes his young defenders to simplify their game when starting out and building their attacking play slowly and concentrate on defending and being as risk free as possible. It has worked for Hartridge and will I should think with Cheick.

It will be interesting to see the advice for Alfie Pond when he comes into the reckoning as he looks to have far more ability and confidence on the ball than Alex and Cheick from what I have seen from him so far.

dontpassback

I thought he had a good game,strong in the air,and playing it simple on the ground,a big lad who won’t get muscled off the ball too often,so a good prospect looming

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
The test will be how he copes / reacts when makes a bad mistake (eg is mugged by an opposition forward while making a back pass), as is likely to happen sometime, even world class PL defenders are not immune. Will he just shrug it off, or will it affect him? IIRC Hartridge took a while to get over his first mistakes - and some said this was evidence he'd never make it; fans are quick to judge and have short memories.

Memphis09

That's right. Concentrate on your defending for now and the other stuff can come later. This is what is happening to Hartridge who's a bit further down the line.
The problem with Hartridge he thinks he is better than he is
Don’t agree about his distribution think it’s been poor

Memphis09

The test will be how he copes / reacts when makes a bad mistake (eg is mugged by an opposition forward while making a back pass), as is likely to happen sometime, even world class PL defenders are not immune. Will he just shrug it off, or will it affect him? IIRC Hartridge took a while to get over his first mistakes - and some said this was evidence he'd never make it; fans are quick to judge and have short memories.
How old is Hartridge
Cheick is far better prospect and player than Hartridge

Bridgy 81

I don’t agree with this and would be interested to hear how you’ve formed this opinion.
I think Cheick looks very promising as does Alex (who’s 23 in March - still comparatively young for a centre back).
I don’t understand the need to compare them. In my view we’re fortunate to have both.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don’t agree about his distribution think it’s been poor
I agree with you here. He short passing is fine but his long diagonal balls rarely find his man and he continues to believe he has a wand of a left foot but continues to fail with his passing ability.

andrew p long

Impressive stats for Diabate's first 3 league games, which can be presented in different ways, all of them encouraging.

No goals conceded in the last 4 hours he's been on the pitch (after just the one conceded 5 minutes into his debut)

Clean sheets in the last two games, after 18 consecutive games without a clean sheet.

Home debut = clean sheet, our first at home since September.

For me he keeps being first choice (whoever else is available) until he has a bad game.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
How old is Hartridge
Cheick is far better prospect and player than Hartridge
I made no comment as to whether Diabate will develop into a better player than Hartridge. You may well be right, who knows?

But for fairness of comparison, Hartridge made his League debut in December 2018, age 19 and 9 months. Diabate will be 20 this week.