• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheats Do prosper!

thermopylai

There are many ways to eat up time.
Legitimate ways are to keep possession, play to the corners.
Even slowing the pace down by taking an extra second or two to take a goal kick, throw in or free kick is valid.

What gets my goat are the obvious ones.
The 'tiny steps' walk off the pitch when substituted.
The 'where shall I place the ball for the goal-kick' fake prevarication of goal keepers.
The 'I am going to pretend to be the one taking this throw in or free kick for a while even though I know another team mate will rock up to actually take it once we've wasted enough time'.

Then, worst of all, the out of possession ones.
Not stepping away from a free kick.
Going down 'injured' yards away from the action to try and force the ref to stop opposition play.

Add to that the tactic I saw Cheltenham use three times on Saturday.
Claim to be injured then, if that doesn't work, put your hands to your head to turn it into a 'head' injury.

The obvious examples of micky taking listed above should be punished as soon as they occur in a game.

I don't want football to be stifled with new rules or punishments.
The rules and punishments are there already for the referee to apply.

There's a wider issue in that these tactics payoff for the teams that use them.
We know from our own attempts to play fair a few seasons back that it actually worked against us in terms of decisions given.

All games are filmed in their entirety and 4th officials are observers.
The evidence is plentiful and clear guidance to referees is long overdue.
Add to this the habit - and almost everyone does it - of running a few paces holding the ball after conceding a free kick or throw in. Of course its a tactic to prevent a quick throw/kick by the opposition, but it really p***** me off. Should be treated like a deliberate hand ball - which it is - and be a straight yellow

jimmy

Whenever the question of, 'What rule would you change/add/remove from the game?' comes up I always say..

..If the opposition return the ball for the set piece, then the kick/throw in must begin on the ref's whistle.

This would stop the childish keeping of the ball or leaving it or kicking it away. It would encourage players to return the ball as they could reset/reorganise.

However, I am sure it would be abused to slow the game down and I doubt refs would demand a quick reset/reorganisation.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
i've always liked the idea of having the watch stopped every time its out of play and playing 30 minutes each half. Petty radical but would cut out so much nonsense, including the farce of injury time

they did a study a couple years ago and on average, the ball is in play for just 60 minutes and 59 seconds
Teams will still waste time if they are leading and want to disrupt the flow of the opponents' play. It's a kind of psychological attack. It makes the good guys feel frustrated and desperate. It's not the time wasted per se : it's the disruption

Banksy

Teams will still waste time if they are leading and want to disrupt the flow of the opponents' play. It's a kind of psychological attack. It makes the good guys feel frustrated and desperate. It's not the time wasted per se : it's the disruption
Hence the need for a good plan B to combat it , which we’re obviously lacking. Else these teams will keep on taking the mick when we’re one down , after all they won , it worked , and no doubt will again.

IndoMike

Hence the need for a good plan B to combat it , which we’re obviously lacking. Else these teams will keep on taking the mick when we’re one down , after all they won , it worked , and no doubt will again.
I think a stern warning from the referee relayed over the tannoy would do the trick .
Making the refs displeasure public would stop it. It's a pity that the refs don't have mics whereby they can communicate to the fans any actions that they take

Colesman Ballz

I think a stern warning from the referee relayed over the tannoy would do the trick .
Making the refs displeasure public would stop it. It's a pity that the refs don't have mics whereby they can communicate to the fans any actions that they take
With the SJP tannoy system ? Clearly you haven't been to a match there in a long, long time ! :p

Banksy

My plan was simplistic.Have plenty of subs , something we don’t currently have the luxury of , and change our plan to suit the time wasting. Extra players and we probably wouldn’t have been one down anyway.Got to get used to it , no signings and Sam and Sam injured through the winter and it’ll be even worse.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’m not sure what else we could have done on Saturday; if the referee is prepared to let players argue back and treat him with zero respect I’m not sure what else we can do. I was actually quite relieved none of our players got frustrated and ended getting booked or sent off themselves.

IndoMike

With the SJP tannoy system ? Clearly you haven't been to a match there in a long, long time ! :p
I know it has its off days

IndoMike

I’m not sure what else we could have done on Saturday; if the referee is prepared to let players argue back and treat him with zero respect I’m not sure what else we can do. I was actually quite relieved none of our players got frustrated and ended getting booked or sent off themselves.
They can send people off. And if they have to send off three then the guilty team might be charged with bringing the game into disrepute. The ref is (should be) the boss