• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheats Do prosper!

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
I’m not sure what else we could have done on Saturday; if the referee is prepared to let players argue back and treat him with zero respect I’m not sure what else we can do. I was actually quite relieved none of our players got frustrated and ended getting booked or sent off themselves.
Sorry , I didn’t make myself more clear.Just that with a bigger squad we might have been able to turn the game round when we were down , rather than struggling against the seemingly inevitable with tired players and getting more and more frustrated. And with a plan B , a playmaker to stand in for Brown , we may not have even been in that position. I know , it’s all been said before and I accept we haven’t the wherewithal and have to go with what we’ve got.It won’t be the first or last time teams play this sort of game with us.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry , I didn’t make myself more clear.Just that with a bigger squad we might have been able to turn the game round when we were down , rather than struggling against the seemingly inevitable with tired players and getting more and more frustrated. And with a plan B , a playmaker to stand in for Brown , we may not have even been in that position. I know , it’s all been said before and I accept we haven’t the wherewithal and have to go with what we’ve got.It won’t be the first or last time teams play this sort of game with us.
Fair enough. I was referring just to how we could have responded to the gamesmanship. I said in my original post at full time on the match day thread that regardless of all the Cheltenham shenanigans, our performance hadn’t been good enough - whether that was to do with squad size or too many senior players having an off day I don’t know.

geoffwp

Theoretical i know but I wonder what the exeweb reaction would be if city beat the scum using a few Cheltenham tactics? Scream for any player invlolved to be sent off I guess.

Grecian Max

Theoretical i know but I wonder what the exeweb reaction would be if city beat the scum using a few Cheltenham tactics? Scream for any player invlolved to be sent off I guess.
Would be proper meh about that, and embarrassed.

Never had an issue when people cried about Wycombe - they sh!thouse and attempt to play football, Cheltenham on Saturday was just a joke.

Colesman Ballz

There's nothing theoretical about beating the Scum Geoff, it's a regular occurrence these days. The last time we hammered them by playing them off the park, most satisfying !
I take your point though, and no doubt I would put any ideals that I hold aside, and make an exception just for them ! :p

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
They can send people off. And if they have to send off three then the guilty team might be charged with bringing the game into disrepute. The ref is (should be) the boss
Exactly. I think what angered me even more than the general gamesmanship was the lack of respect shown to the referee and the fact that he chose not to be the boss and let Cheltenham players constantly argue with him and ignore his instructions.
Anyway, probably time to move on and focus on our cup run.

geoffwp

There's nothing theoretical about beating the Scum Geoff, it's a regular occurrence these days. The last time we hammered them by playing them off the park, most satisfying !
I take your point though, and no doubt I would put any ideals that I hold aside, and make an exception just for them ! :p
I think the theoretical part was more to do with any need to 'cheat' to beat them CB. Indeed the word cheat is wrong in this 'theoretical' case as ALL is fair in love, war and kicking the scummers collective arse.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

denzel

Amateurs!