• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheats Do prosper!

sign of the chimes

I think it was @Rosencrantz who mentioned, upthread, the frustration of seeing a keeper get a yellow in about the 85th minute having been wasting time throughout and getting away with after that anyway.

I can't remember the opposition but a couple of seasons ago I was heartened to see the ref give an opposition 'keeper a yellow card for timewasting during the first half of a game at Fratton Park. The keeper carried on timewasting and around the 70th minute the ref's gesticulations to the 'keeper to get on with it became more and more pronounced - but we still never saw a second yellow come out.

Is the 'six-second' rule still one of the Laws of the game, does anyone know?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think it was @Rosencrantz who mentioned, upthread, the frustration of seeing a keeper get a yellow in about the 85th minute having been wasting time throughout and getting away with after that anyway.

I can't remember the opposition but a couple of seasons ago I was heartened to see the ref give an opposition 'keeper a yellow card for timewasting during the first half of a game at Fratton Park. The keeper carried on timewasting and around the 70th minute the ref's gesticulations to the 'keeper to get on with it became more and more pronounced - but we still never saw a second yellow come out.

Is the 'six-second' rule still one of the Laws of the game, does anyone know?
The problem is that there is pressure on refs not to take actions which will attract attention or debate on the mass media , so some are unwilling to be decisive.
For a referee, a good afternoon is booking few players and not giving any reds. Most want to avoid any controversy. But avoiding issues often creates the controversy they are trying to keep clear of.
I sincerely hope that City will send a recording of this whole match to the Football League and lodge a complaint - not that those fat cat feckers will do anything to help Exeter City.
As long as the fans out up with this kind of thing it will never change. It would be good that every fan at the match emailed the Football League with a photocopy of their match ticket and an invoice for the ticket price due to being defrauded by the ref and Cheltenham (but I know that won't happen).

IndoMike

Well done, MRt, for telling the truth. If he gets sanctioned for that, are we gonna just sit and take it?!

JCWhoosh

If a player is time wasting, then they get sin binned for 10 minutes. More effective punishment than a yellow card.
Gets my vote. Same with synical trips to stop a clear break away. Makes my blood boil to hear ex professionals to say 'he took one for the team and was a clever foul'. I think it will change if they have to sit and watch for 10 mins

elginCity

….Is the 'six-second' rule still one of the Laws of the game, does anyone know?
Yes, Law 12.2 - but it’s used more as a guideline for refs, and not strictly enforced. Therein lies the problem perhaps.

Spoonz Red E

There are many ways to eat up time.
Legitimate ways are to keep possession, play to the corners.
Even slowing the pace down by taking an extra second or two to take a goal kick, throw in or free kick is valid.

What gets my goat are the obvious ones.
The 'tiny steps' walk off the pitch when substituted.
The 'where shall I place the ball for the goal-kick' fake prevarication of goal keepers.
The 'I am going to pretend to be the one taking this throw in or free kick for a while even though I know another team mate will rock up to actually take it once we've wasted enough time'.

Then, worst of all, the out of possession ones.
Not stepping away from a free kick.
Going down 'injured' yards away from the action to try and force the ref to stop opposition play.

Add to that the tactic I saw Cheltenham use three times on Saturday.
Claim to be injured then, if that doesn't work, put your hands to your head to turn it into a 'head' injury.

The obvious examples of micky taking listed above should be punished as soon as they occur in a game.

I don't want football to be stifled with new rules or punishments.
The rules and punishments are there already for the referee to apply.

There's a wider issue in that these tactics payoff for the teams that use them.
We know from our own attempts to play fair a few seasons back that it actually worked against us in terms of decisions given.

All games are filmed in their entirety and 4th officials are observers.
The evidence is plentiful and clear guidance to referees is long overdue.

denzel

Well done, MRt, for telling the truth. If he gets sanctioned for that, are we gonna just sit and take it?!
I was down the Bank end and didn't notice a clear penalty. Can anyone watching or up closer to the SJR end say if this was a fair comment?

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
There are many ways to eat up time.
Legitimate ways are to keep possession, play to the corners.
Even slowing the pace down by taking an extra second or two to take a goal kick, throw in or free kick is valid.

What gets my goat are the obvious ones.
The 'tiny steps' walk off the pitch when substituted.
The 'where shall I place the ball for the goal-kick' fake prevarication of goal keepers.
The 'I am going to pretend to be the one taking this throw in or free kick for a while even though I know another team mate will rock up to actually take it once we've wasted enough time'.

Then, worst of all, the out of possession ones.
Not stepping away from a free kick.
Going down 'injured' yards away from the action to try and force the ref to stop opposition play.

Add to that the tactic I saw Cheltenham use three times on Saturday.
Claim to be injured then, if that doesn't work, put your hands to your head to turn it into a 'head' injury.

The obvious examples of micky taking listed above should be punished as soon as they occur in a game.

I don't want football to be stifled with new rules or punishments.
The rules and punishments are there already for the referee to apply.

There's a wider issue in that these tactics payoff for the teams that use them.
We know from our own attempts to play fair a few seasons back that it actually worked against us in terms of decisions given.

All games are filmed in their entirety and 4th officials are observers.
The evidence is plentiful and clear guidance to referees is long overdue.
Summarised much better than my earlier post agree 100% - also on Saturday Cheltenham had a full scale picnic during every break in play - so frustrating

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was down the Bank end and didn't notice a clear penalty. Can anyone watching or up closer to the SJR end say if this was a fair comment?
I assume it's the incident around 2.34 on the 360 coverage on match day thread

tommoore85

i've always liked the idea of having the watch stopped every time its out of play and playing 30 minutes each half. Petty radical but would cut out so much nonsense, including the farce of injury time

they did a study a couple years ago and on average, the ball is in play for just 60 minutes and 59 seconds