• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Charlton Athletic v Exeter City Oct 11th 7:45 ko Matchday thread.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
He can't get down very quickly, Cam would have saved that IMO. But respect your view.

Fourth one, horrendous positioning all round.
I'd be surprised if any League1/2 keeper would have stopped it and if they did it would be more by luck than judgement.

grecIAN Harris

Point taken on the 3rd Ian, but theres no defending the fourth: I have no idea what he was thinking about on that one. I also thought he might have done a bit better with the first. He had a clear view of that shot, and got down to it in a timely fashion (He guessed right), yet a fella of his stature couldnt get something on that shot after he made it all the way across the goal? Possibly poor judgement? I also do wish he would communicate with his fellow defenders a bit more. It appears he prefers to be left alone.
Watch the first one again Pete and watch the deflection off of Hartridge right in front of him. I first thought like you when I saw it at lunch time but I watched it again when I got home from work and there is a slight deflection off of Hartridge right in front of him leaving him even less time to react than he did for the third. It's the reason why why the ball comes off the top of his hand.

AmberRed

All good points, especially the league comparisons. It just really galled me to watch him virtually give up on the header for that fourth goal. If he'd stuck an arm up and jumped a bit instead of standing rooted appearing disgusted, he would have probably got a touch on that soft header. We do need him to play to his full potential if his parent club are ever going to want him back.
Come on Pete, who is his parent club?

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
In this situation, the Club would need to ensure that it took intellectual ownership of all information gained by Marcus, while he was an employee of Exeter City Football Club.

I'd hope that whoever has Legal and HR responsibilities at Club Club Board level could sort this out.
Nice idea in theory but whatever computerised stats there are are out there for all other statto's across clubs.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I believe it might be ECFC!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
To me KN offers many of the fan base a 'comfort blanket' he seems the perfect solution to maintaining de facto the Matty Taylor legacy. However, we were all/most of us delighted when Matty tore up the post Tisdale era with a somewhat radical approach. Yes he was an internal appointment but he was very different to his predecessor. It didnt seem like change but it was a culture shift. With Taggy at the helm the emphasis on our Academy wont change whichever candidate becomes the Manager. Similarly you mention about the system and clearly only a fool would change what works best with the players we have. But what if e.g. Artell or say Luke Gerrard or Andy Woodman already use such a system and equally have a track record of developing young players? Suddenly having an 'external' appointment isn't significantly different after all?
Finally, the most significant issue for me isnt the here and now of maintaining this season but this summer when as you say key players depart. That process needs to start now not discovering six months later that actually KN doesnt actually have the contacts to replace Josh Key, Archie, Jevani and Blackman. So for me radical overhaul is already in process as it is inevitable that planning for a new cycle is already upon the new manager
But the hope is that a lot of these replacements will come from within the Academy so there is an argument that Kev is the perfect man to ease their transition into the first team.

PeteUSA

Obviously I was mistaken. I thought he was here on a season long loan from somewhere like Dawson was. We did very well if he's our signing with no strings, even if he is prone to the odd gaff.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would agree, up to a point. There has to be a plan to cover a centre-back charging forward. If he's allowed/encouraged to go on the type of run that led to their third goal last night, someone has to be given the responsibility to drop back and cover his position.
Normally, we are pretty good at covering the forward runs of our defenders. However, at this point we were 2-1 down with 6 minutes to go so it's not a surprise that we maybe committed too many men forward while trying to score an equaliser.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was puzzled by this too, and by MT's acquiescence when talking a few weeks back about it. It obviously would have been much better to have this fixture during November (currently 2 league games only and no midweek games) than October (9 games, including every midweek)

There certainly was a rule in force in pandemic times that clubs had to rearrange postponed fixtures for the first available date from 21 days after the postponed fixture. Don't know whether this still applies. If so, a bit puzzling that there haven't been midweeks now full of fixtures rearranged from the weekend of the Queen's death.
I think the convention is that club's are expected to re-arrange games at the earliest convenient date to avoid fixture congestion later in the season. While playing Charlton this week may not have been ideal it's still better than last season making us play Forest Green while many of our team still had covid or the season before when we had to travel to Barrow in February for a re-arranged game which was then called off an hour before kick-off.

Fareham Grecian

Obviously I was mistaken. I thought he was here on a season long loan from somewhere like Dawson was. We did very well if he's our signing with no strings, even if he is prone to the odd gaff.
Well that’s brightened up my morning! I was certain he was on loan for the season, dunno where I got that from. He is not perfect but he’s a blimmin good keeper at our level.