• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Charlton Athletic v Exeter City Oct 11th 7:45 ko Matchday thread.

scottus86

While Josh Key obviously isn't a CB and has been caught out and criticised for losing the ball too much, Stansfield's goal came from Josh Key bombing to their byeline/area and the resulting clearance was headed back up field and found brown who brought it down for Stansfield to fire home. I don't think he should be held to accountable for taking risks that in his usual position he may be encouraged to take.

robchave

While Josh Key obviously isn't a CB and has been caught out and criticised for losing the ball too much, Stansfield's goal came from Josh Key bombing to their byeline/area and the resulting clearance was headed back up field and found brown who brought it down for Stansfield to fire home. I don't think he should be held to accountable for taking risks that in his usual position he may be encouraged to take.
I would agree, up to a point. There has to be a plan to cover a centre-back charging forward. If he's allowed/encouraged to go on the type of run that led to their third goal last night, someone has to be given the responsibility to drop back and cover his position.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
As others have mentioned, the trip to Barnsley combined with our small squad and current injury woes meant defeat was more than likely at Charlton.

However, this was a rea-arranged game so we must have agreed to the date. It seems a bit odd that we would?

tonykellowfan

The very fact that Sparkes was taken off and Caprice and Key switched to wing back (Kite at CB) shows the management know it wasn't working.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would agree, up to a point. There has to be a plan to cover a centre-back charging forward. If he's allowed/encouraged to go on the type of run that led to their third goal last night, someone has to be given the responsibility to drop back and cover his position.
My point earlier on the thread. Midfielder or Caprice has to drop back to cover.
I notice no one seems to complain when Hartridge does a Jairzinho. ( youngsters can look him up )

andrew p long

As others have mentioned, the trip to Barnsley combined with our small squad and current injury woes meant defeat was more than likely at Charlton.

However, this was a rea-arranged game so we must have agreed to the date. It seems a bit odd that we would?
I was puzzled by this too, and by MT's acquiescence when talking a few weeks back about it. It obviously would have been much better to have this fixture during November (currently 2 league games only and no midweek games) than October (9 games, including every midweek)

There certainly was a rule in force in pandemic times that clubs had to rearrange postponed fixtures for the first available date from 21 days after the postponed fixture. Don't know whether this still applies. If so, a bit puzzling that there haven't been midweeks now full of fixtures rearranged from the weekend of the Queen's death.

SaintJames

So that’s the reason I don’t think now is the right time for a significantly different approach.
We have a good team who seem suited and comfortable playing in a particular system.
The time for any radical overhaul would for me be if our current form has clearly faltered or when we need to start a new cycle when key players in our present system depart.
To me KN offers many of the fan base a 'comfort blanket' he seems the perfect solution to maintaining de facto the Matty Taylor legacy. However, we were all/most of us delighted when Matty tore up the post Tisdale era with a somewhat radical approach. Yes he was an internal appointment but he was very different to his predecessor. It didnt seem like change but it was a culture shift. With Taggy at the helm the emphasis on our Academy wont change whichever candidate becomes the Manager. Similarly you mention about the system and clearly only a fool would change what works best with the players we have. But what if e.g. Artell or say Luke Gerrard or Andy Woodman already use such a system and equally have a track record of developing young players? Suddenly having an 'external' appointment isn't significantly different after all?
Finally, the most significant issue for me isnt the here and now of maintaining this season but this summer when as you say key players depart. That process needs to start now not discovering six months later that actually KN doesnt actually have the contacts to replace Josh Key, Archie, Jevani and Blackman. So for me radical overhaul is already in process as it is inevitable that planning for a new cycle is already upon the new manager

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

I've just watched all the goals from last night and I'm left wondering what the hell some of you are on about with regards Blackman and the third goal. How do you work out he should have done better with it? One second he's watching a mishit shot drifting harmlessly wide, the next he's got a shot coming at him from no more than three yards away without having the time to reset his stance or positioning. If he'd reacted a tenth of a second quicker you'd all be banging on about save of the century because he would have got the whole of his foot to be ball and be able to direct it away from goal instead of it catching the back half of his foot and not being able to do a lot about it.

PeteUSA

I've just watched all the goals from last night and I'm left wondering what the hell some of you are on about with regards Blackman and the third goal. How do you work out he should have done better with it? One second he's watching a mishit shot drifting harmlessly wide, the next he's got a shot coming at him from no more than three yards away without having the time to reset his stance or positioning. If he'd reacted a tenth of a second quicker you'd all be banging on about save of the century because he would have got the whole of his foot to be ball and be able to direct it away from goal instead of it catching the back half of his foot and not being able to do a lot about it.
Point taken on the 3rd Ian, but theres no defending the fourth: I have no idea what he was thinking about on that one. I also thought he might have done a bit better with the first. He had a clear view of that shot, and got down to it in a timely fashion (He guessed right), yet a fella of his stature couldnt get something on that shot after he made it all the way across the goal? Possibly poor judgement? I also do wish he would communicate with his fellow defenders a bit more. It appears he prefers to be left alone.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
To me KN offers many of the fan base a 'comfort blanket' he seems the perfect solution to maintaining de facto the Matty Taylor legacy. However, we were all/most of us delighted when Matty tore up the post Tisdale era with a somewhat radical approach. Yes he was an internal appointment but he was very different to his predecessor. It didnt seem like change but it was a culture shift. With Taggy at the helm the emphasis on our Academy wont change whichever candidate becomes the Manager. Similarly you mention about the system and clearly only a fool would change what works best with the players we have. But what if e.g. Artell or say Luke Gerrard or Andy Woodman already use such a system and equally have a track record of developing young players? Suddenly having an 'external' appointment isn't significantly different after all?
Finally, the most significant issue for me isnt the here and now of maintaining this season but this summer when as you say key players depart. That process needs to start now not discovering six months later that actually KN doesnt actually have the contacts to replace Josh Key, Archie, Jevani and Blackman. So for me radical overhaul is already in process as it is inevitable that planning for a new cycle is already upon the new manager
KN probably doesn't need the contacts as Marcus Flitcroft used to do most of it for MT - I believe MT said that Marcus couldn't wait to get contacts from Jon Hill.
Disregarding the "here and now" could mean we start off next season in L2 and needs careful managing until we are safe.
UTC