• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Change of Name

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
I heard on the radio this morning that in 2010 more people had changed their names than ever before. Apparently it only costs £30. So, have any Exewebbers changed their names?

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm thinkng I may change my name to Barry! ;)

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was going to get a personal number plate for my Tiger, but considering those cost upwards of £200 it's cheaper to change my name to Q858JTT instead...

:D

shabbashaz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was going to get a personal number plate for my Tiger, but considering those cost upwards of £200 it's cheaper to change my name to Q858JTT instead...

:D That made me proper lol

I've always hated being called Sharon, it makes me feel like I'm in trouble.

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster

You should be called BOB lol

Red the Paper

Banned

You aint wrong there. You annoyed me the other day and I called you Sharon in a post. Normal service resumed Shabs xx.

Juggling Monkey

Administrator
It doesn't even need to cost £30. To change your name in the UK all you technically have to do is start using your new name.

However if you need a bank account, passport etc (which you probably do!) then you'll need a change of name deed (also known as a deed poll). This is just a simple document with your old and new names on it and some legal wording, signed by two witnesses. You can download such a document for free, print it yourself and get some witnesses to sign it.

The cost normally comes in when you get someone to produce the change of name deed for you. All you actually get for your money is slightly nicer paper.

I changed my surname this year and the only delay caused by printing my own change of name deed was with Lloyds TSB but that was cleared up in one ten-minute visit to the Exeter branch. My replacement passport application went through in only eight days.

If you print your own change of name deed you can make lots of copies and get them all signed which means you can apply to banks, DVLA, passport agency etc at the same time and get everything done quickly. If you pay for your change of name deed then usually extra copies cost more money.

Red the Paper

Banned

Didn't you used to be known as Toni? ;)

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
I heard on the radio this morning that in 2010 more people had changed their names than ever before. Apparently it only costs £30. So, have any Exewebbers changed their names?
I know of one.

I considered doing this a while back (for fairly obvious reasons) but couldn't be bothered with the hassle and realised that I actually quite like having a virtually unique name.

Fareham Grecian

I was going to get a personal number plate for my Tiger
Sounds like a fair swap...