• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Change of kick off time for the Southend home game next Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonykellowfan

LOL! So you were happy when their was no reason at all?

Legohead

Banned
Well, yeah. Principles innit.

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
I probably shouldn't bite, but I'll give my views. Firstly no one is a subject of the crown we are all exactly the same as being citizens of the UK, the Queen is a citizen same as everyone else.
I don't think this is right - it may say BRITISH CITIZEN in John's passport but (as I understand it) he, you and all of us Brits are also all subjects of the Crown - technically speaking the Crown also owns everything, including my house :mad:

jimbo-gould

You’ve got to change the time you have your dinner tonight. Someone died. You don’t know them, but that doesn’t matter.

Spoonz Red E

I don't think this is right - it may say BRITISH CITIZEN in John's passport but (as I understand it) he, you and all of us Brits are also all subjects of the Crown - technically speaking the Crown also owns everything, including my house :mad:
A bit of a grey area.
Since 1948 - you should have been able to be a British subject without swearing allegiance to the monarch (British Nationality Act of theat year).
However in 1981 the Oath of Allegiance to the Monarch was still active.

The right of the monarch to create British subjects (as denizens) was removed earlier (1873).
Still don't see why they get all the freshly painted toilets though.

Last edited:

IndoMike

It's quite interesting when contemplating the British psyche:

Most Brits

Don't believe in a God (not to any degree)
They don't support the monarchy
They don't believe (in) the Govt or trust politicians
They don't believe in the EU

In a way we're quite anarchistic, but on the other hand in general we abide by the rules and are quite regimented, even forming queues at the drop of a hat whenever we get a chance.

I'm not surprised that some people don't want the match- day schedule changed, because Brits basically don't like being told what to do.

IndoMike

Exactly, no doubt the revised KO times are to be found within the detailed instructions for Operation Forth Bridge. :rolleyes:

It is this kind of nonsense that makes me realise just how much I despise the institution that is the monarchy. It is an medieval anachronism that simply has no place in the 21st century. I am astonished that so many 'subjects' (ffs) continue to be duped into believing them necessary, or desirable, or 'value for money' (ffs!), but most of the time I just accept this level of stupidity (along with e.g. almost 14 million voting Tory). What does **** me off though is when they get in the way of everyday life - I understand they need to bury the old racist but there is no need for that to impact on anything. else. at. all.

If anyone wants to watch the footy and the funeral I'm sure the service will be available on iplayer or umpteen repeats across all feckin channels over the coming weeks - I don't understand why it needs to be watched 'live - since when did funerals become spectator sport?

rant over.
A rant to be proud of.
Philip was certainly guilty of many casual racist remarks. Not only that, few escaped his acerbic wit. If you were fat, thin, tall, short or had big ears he couldn't help but take the p*ss. Apparently he thought it would put people at ease. He could also take the p*as out of himself, a characteristic that is sadly lacking today.
The strange thing is that even though he did indeed come out with many racist (and sexist) barbs, he did make an effort to travel around the Commonwealth on many occasions and I have seen and read a whole host of comments from people of other cultures praising/ fondly remembering/ appresciating him. He had a lot of contact with indigenous tribes and tried to stand up for their rights, although his power was limited.
Of course, people can say that he was just doing his duty, but from what I gather he did a lot more than he needed to
So there's the paradox, a bloke who couldn't stop himself from making casual racist remarks and yet whose actions spoke differently : he had very good relationships and personal friendships with many black and Asian people
Regarding Philip, I don't think he would have wanted people to be put out due to his funeral. He wanted to keep it as simple as possible : hence he requested a Land Rover to transport his body to the chapel. He can be blamed for many things, but not for people having to delay or bring forward their meal

Last edited:

WXF

I find the fawning deference we are expected to accept quite nauseating and fundamentally anti-democratic. If we want to better respect human life then bring it on. There are much more effective ways we can do it than this twee rubbish

Legohead

Banned
It's quite interesting when contemplating the British psyche:

Most Brits

Don't believe in a God (not to any degree)
They don't support the monarchy
They don't believe (in) the Govt or trust politicians
They don't believe in the EU

In a way we're quite anarchistic, but on the other hand in general we abide by the rules and are quite regimented, even forming queues at the drop of a hat whenever we get a chance.

I'm not surprised that some people don't want the match- day schedule changed, because Brits basically don't like being told what to do.
It isn't anarchy Mike. My views are thus:

a) BELIEF IN GOD

There is no evidence that suggests that God exists. People who believe in ghosts or aliens often get derided but there is as much evidence to support the existence of both of those than of a God. Not only that but there are tens of thousands of churches around the UK where one can go to pray to a God that has not yet been proven to exist or ever have existed and yet this is considered reasonable and rational behaviour. Not anarchy but a lack of evidence. Just like the Tories and most of their reasoning behind many Covid restrictions.

b) SUPPORT OF THE MONARCHY

My issue with the monarchy is that they are born into positions of privilege and it hasn't been earned. This is a fundamental unfairness that should not be allowed to be perpetuated in the year 2021. I fully accept that they bring into the country massive amounts of income for the economy but this is missing the fundamental point of simply being born into a position of advantage over others which isn't right. I actually don't mind the Queen and think she's been an amazing servant to the country but status has to be earned as has respect. I think the Queen has earned the respect of most people quite rightly but her status hasn't been earned.

c) LACK OF TRUST IN POLITICIANS

They mostly all lie, put themselves and their reputation before anything else, avoid taking responsibility for anything and never admit to making mistakes. Oh and they don't answer questions properly. So why are they to be trusted? Common sense really.

d) THE EU

Can't really answer this as i don't have an opinion either way other than the EU is just an extension of what we have here in Britain. Lots of self serving politicians.

I have no issue with being told what to do so long as the thing i'm told to do is fair and makes sense and that i have respect for the person telling me to do it. Thus you can see why the pandemic has been so difficult for me as not much the Tories have done has made much common sense and i have no respect for any of them either. You don't just do something just because someone in authority tells you to. This isn't anarchy IMO. Just a more questioning and sceptical disposition.

I used to work in a toolmaking factory and the boss was one of those who was constantly trawling the shop floor nitpicking, criticising and telling workers to 'look lively and get back to work' if they so much as muttered another word to a work mate. What this manager did not understand is that by leading in this way, it psychologically makes the worker want to do even less. I've never understood this way of managing. Whereas a fair manager you are more likely to go the extra mile for. Again, it's about respect and doing what you are told for someone you respect is actually quite easy. Unfortunately there aren't a great many people in positions of power that warrant any respect whatsoever.

Last edited:

IndoMike

It isn't anarchy Mike. My views are thus:

a) BELIEF IN GOD

There is no evidence that suggests that God exists. People who believe in ghosts or aliens often get derided but there is as much evidence to support the existence of both of those than of a God. Not only that but there are tens of thousands of churches around the UK where one can go to pray to a God that has not yet been proven to exist or ever have existed and yet this is considered reasonable and rational behaviour. Not anarchy but a lack of evidence. Just like the Tories and most of their reasoning behind many Covid restrictions.

b) SUPPORT OF THE MONARCHY

My issue with the monarchy is that they are born into positions of privilege and it hasn't been earned. This is a fundamental unfairness that should not be allowed to be perpetuated in the year 2021. I fully accept that they bring into the country massive amounts of income for the economy but this is missing the fundamental point of simply being born into a position of advantage over others which isn't right. I actually don't mind the Queen and think she's been an amazing servant to the country but status has to be earned as has respect. I think the Queen has earned the respect of most people quite rightly but her status hasn't been earned.

c) LACK OF TRUST IN POLITICIANS

They mostly all lie, put themselves and their reputation before anything else, avoid taking responsibility for anything and never admit to making mistakes. Oh and they don't answer questions properly. So why are they to be trusted? Common sense really.

d) THE EU

Can't really answer this as i don't have an opinion either way other than the EU is just an extension of what we have here in Britain. Lots of self serving politicians.

I have no issue with being told what to do so long as the thing i'm told to do is fair and makes sense and that i have respect for the person telling me to do it. Thus you can see why the pandemic has been so difficult for me as not much the Tories have done has made much common sense and i have no respect for any of them either. You don't just do something just because someone in authority tells you to. This isn't anarchy IMO.
I wasn't really making a statement on the above matters : more like I was thinking out loud and pondering. Regarding your last sentence, I agree that you shouldn't (have to) to do something because authority tells you to do it, but one thing I have learned is that you can't beat the system -no matter how you try - because the system is loaded against the individual
Will comment on your other thoughts later, but I fear we will get a b*ll*cking from deepest Hampshire if we continue. As I say: you can't beat the system 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.