• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Carlisle United v Exeter City Matchday Thread

JCWhoosh

I could watch those highlights all day. The holdup and moment off the ball for Zanzala to get in on goal was great, shame he delayed the shot to allow the defender to get back.
I counted 4 defenders throwing themselves to get a block on their striker, great commitment!
The lay back to Dieng from Jay could have been goal of the season with the movement, good save by their keeper.
Great poaching from Podge sealed the win which is all that mattered.
And that throw from Hartridge! Should definitely use that more in an attacking sense when given the opportunity. A real weapon.

Last edited:

Red red

Anyone else think Matt Taylor was wound up in his interview he wasn’t happy

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
You think a driver for two whole days plus an overnight stay is £200? I think you need to re-read that comment and realise how daft it sounds.
Not really , One of my family members drives coaches for a living and secondary drivers dont get paid that much.

When doing a private hire service for coach parties they can earn more money from tips than their normal pay ! And before you jump again I realise the first team arent going to give the drivers a tip the comment still stands.
The only time their rates go up is for intercontinental driving when they are away for more than 4 consecutive days.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not really , One of my family members drives coaches for a living and secondary drivers dont get paid that much.

When doing a private hire service for coach parties they can earn more money from tips than their normal pay ! And before you jump again I realise the first team arent going to give the drivers a tip the comment still stands.
The only time their rates go up is for intercontinental driving when they are away for more than 4 consecutive days.
The average wage for a coach driver is about £12.50 an hour (various sources), multiply that by an eight hour day and add the cost of an overnight stay. It's more than £200. And are you really suggesting our players are that tight fisted? When I used to play for Crediton in the Western League we always had Turners Tours from Chulmleigh take us to away games and the hat always went around for the drivers tip on the way back.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I didn't see yesterday's game but one reason for the better performance may just be that Carlisle are a worse team than Newport.
They left so much space open to exploit in the central areas. Dieng and Brown were often left with plenty of time on the ball to choose a pass. Unlike recent opponents, they hadn't done their homework on how to stop us. And their decision making inside their own half was hopeless, usually punts upfield to nobody. Having said that, the team shape that Matt put out was perfect to combat their strengths and they just never got going.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
When I used to play for Crediton in the Western League we always had Turners Tours from Chulmleigh take us to away games and the hat always went around for the drivers tip on the way back.
No doubt singing “For he’s a jolly good driver” towards the end of the trip 😎

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seems angry that money wasn't made available for the transport of the team over that distance. Given the amount of extra income we've had in recent weeks it seems strange that this wasn't invested in. It also looks like he has done the 'manager thing' and turned this into a siege mentality among the players, to make it a big deal and focus them on the battle element of the fixture. Love that bit. Promotion is not mentioned once in the interview by either the interviewer or Matt, which is also great. Best manager we've ever had in my opinion.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
They left so much space open to exploit in the central areas. Dieng and Brown were often left with plenty of time on the ball to choose a pass. Unlike recent opponents, they hadn't done their homework on how to stop us. And their decision making inside their own half was hopeless, usually punts upfield to nobody. Having said that, the team shape that Matt put out was perfect to combat their strengths and they just never got going.
Interesting to hear. By contrast Newport did a very good job of crowding the midfield and Dieng and Rowe really struggled to get into the game. I also believe Newport's pitch is smaller which may have been a factor as well.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seems angry that money wasn't made available for the transport of the team over that distance. Given the amount of extra income we've had in recent weeks it seems strange that this wasn't invested in. It also looks like he has done the 'manager thing' and turned this into a siege mentality among the players, to make it a big deal and focus them on the battle element of the fixture. Love that bit. Promotion is not mentioned once in the interview by either the interviewer or Matt, which is also great. Best manager we've ever had in my opinion.
I also like the way Matt Taylor also takes ultimate responsibility for the travel difficulties, even if others were to blame. He did something similar after the Bradford subs debacle which was very classy, especially compared to the response from Derek Adams.

BigBankAl

Think he was wound up by his pre-match choice opted for Subway, but wished he’d went KFC