• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Carlisle United v Exeter City Matchday Thread - 1.00pm Kick off

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure what you are on about.

I clearly stated it hasn't worked out with him.
I was only joshing. However, you said 'there was no way we could fail to do better' than either Deano or Woody. I was merely making the point, I'd rather have Moxey at centre-back than McArdle.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Never mind Woodman, I'm still pining for Alex Jeannin ;)

(he could at least take a corner)
He could hang up a humdinger of a cross to the far post at the St James' Rd end too. As Eamo once described to me, the trouble was his "toblerone" boots, which meant the ball could just as easily end up bouncing down Well Street ! :)

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Gareth Sheldon had a great cross on him.

Sadly he spent more time in the pub than at the Cat & Fiddle.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Gareth Sheldon had a great cross on him.

Sadly he spent more time in the pub than at the Cat & Fiddle.
Isn't that the name of the pub outside of the training ground :)

Trapdoor

Have you not bothered to read the posts which correctly identified that Sweeney WAS a centre back up until he arrived at SJP. It was only subsequently that Tis started playing him at right back ?
Correct me if I'm wrong but Sweeney hadn't played a single professional game before he came to Exeter ( where he played RB) so I'm not sure how he was a CB before.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Correct me if I'm wrong but Sweeney hadn't played a single professional game before he came to Exeter ( where he played RB) so I'm not sure how he was a CB before.
In youth teams and whilst developing for Reading and Ireland he was a centre back.

Ex-Bray Wanderers player Pierce Sweeney released by Reading - League of Ireland

and

Reading complete signing of Pierce Sweeney from Bray Wanderers | Goal.com

Last edited:

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I watched the game yesterday and have just watched the highlights again, what did our centre backs do wrong for the goal ?? Taylor seemed to blame them and Key.

milts

Let a Carlisle player run straight for the middle of them in the run up to the goal.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
I watched the game yesterday and have just watched the highlights again, what did our centre backs do wrong for the goal ?? Taylor seemed to blame them and Key.
It's the initial first phase of the attack when Alessandra runs in behind from a ball clipped in behind. He clearly runs across the front of Sweeney (so he obviously sees him) and Sweens doesn't track him and tries to play offside. It's just too easy for him to get in behind our backline and has happened all season. Then Key goes to clear it with his right foot (so gets a poor contact on it) when he should be clearing it with his left foot.

There was no pressure to the Carlisle player about to play the ball in behind and even low level CB's know that if there is no pressure to the ball then you drop your backline as the pass is played. You don't try and play offside!

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you take things that far back there will always be someone to blame for goals conceded.

In terms of the goals conceded this season surely we should look at is as a collective effort, have the midfield helped the backline out enough, I don't think they have however it generally always seems to be the same areas of the team picked out by Taylor.

Have the likes of Atangana and Collins given the centre backs enough protection this season, no is the answer.

Reactions: Egg