• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Carabao Cup (League Cup) 2nd round draw

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Nice to be in it!

Some details. I worry that it'll be FGR away!

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
See it’s a south north split. That’s new as we previously got Sunderland and hull. I was hoping for Leicester but guess they maybe north section.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Odds on we draw the winners of the Argiggle v Ipswich tie.

budegrecian

Thought they were playing Peterborough

sign of the chimes

I grudgingly get the N/S split for the first round; I think by round 2 it should be anyone v anyone.

Bit slow catching up this evening but apparently only two Championship sides through so far - and they beat other Champs sides. From what I understand, all Champ v L1/L2 matches this evening ended up in favour of the lower league sides.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I grudgingly get the N/S split for the first round; I think by round 2 it should be anyone v anyone.

Bit slow catching up this evening but apparently only 2 Championship sides through so far - and they beat other Champs sides. From what I understand, all Champ v L1/L2 matches this evening ended up in favour of the lower league sides.
Well done on stuffing Cardiff - see you guys in next round ?
Up The City & Play Up Pompey !

sign of the chimes

Well done on stuffing Cardiff - see you guys in next round ?
Up The City & Play Up Pompey !
Cheers GiG - wouldn't fancy facing you lot based on your form over the past few days!

Joking aside would be great. I'm already gutted that we're at yours on Boxing Day as unlikely I'll be able to make it back to SJP due to family commitments. Realistically could do with an away trip to you in Round 3 (or later, let's both dream); as in a really busy month at work - so reckon two weeks today/tomorrow would be a tough ask as well!

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Senior moment they are playing Peterborough a team we would certainly want to avoid.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cheers GiG - wouldn't fancy facing you lot based on your form over the past few days!

Joking aside would be great. I'm already gutted that we're at yours on Boxing Day as unlikely I'll be able to make it back to SJP due to family commitments. Realistically could do with an away trip to you in Round 3 (or later, let's both dream); as in a really busy month at work - so reckon two weeks today/tomorrow would be a tough ask as well!
Shame you didn't stay fan owned as the game could have been billed as the "Battle of Fan Ownership" or something more catchy to guarantee TV coverage & £s for both clubs.
UTC & PUP

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
There will be fifty sides in the draw so the split can’t be fully even. In round one there were 18 northern ties but only 17 southern ones.

Not sure if some teams could move areas depending on who wins in the last few ties as Shrewsbury were in northern section but must be close to the divide, and Coventry v Bristol city is in the south but if Coventry win they might end up in the northern bit. Same issue with wba v Sheffield utd.

guess the league looks at who is still in to decide if there are 13 ties in north or south with 12 ties in the other section?

the sides through from the southern ties plus the sides joining the draw that are clearly southern are

cambridge
gillingham
portsmouth
charlton
exeter
crawley
forest green
colchester
newport
mk dons
wycombe
norwich
oxford
walsall (must be close to being considered northern)
stevenage
plymouth or peterborough
brighton
c palace
brentford
southampton
watford
fulham
bournemouth

northern teams

tranmere
barrow
bolton
bradford
lincoln
fleetwood
grimsby
stockport
preston
derby
morecambe
rochdale
blackburn or hartlepool
middlesbrough or barnsley
port vale or rotherham
sheff weds or sunderland
newcastle
everton
leeds
burnley
nottm forest

unsure

shrewsbury (northern if stays same as round one)
coventry or Bristol c( south obviously if Bristol win or if it stays same as round one)
wba or Sheffield utd (north if same as round one, but if it’s West Brom aren’t they south of Coventry?)

leicester (north?)
wolves (south?)
aston villa (south?)

difficult to know as won’t be same number of sides in each section. Appreciate I’m over thinking this and we will know by tomorrow night around ten I imagine but who cares.