• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

'Cans for City' - revived

Andy_H

That is very touching Andy, I briefly met Mike but knew Dave really well, I saw him not long before he passed away at his home, Even though he was quite ill then, He still had that sparkle as we chatted about ECFC, I'll not forget him and this is such a lovely memorial for two blokes who ECFC meant so much to them both, Just the thing Cans4City is good at doing. (y) RIP Mike & Dave, Forever a Grecian.
We are also in the process of moving Dave's clock from the IP Office stand, where sadly it hasn't worked for some time now, having it renovated then repositioned in the concourse of the SASS, where it will be accompanied by a board giving more detail about Dave, plus a photo of him selling his programmes. The board is currently in production with those very good friends of ECFC, Signs Express and we hope to have it in position by the first game of the season 2022/23.

Andy_H

Our next cans collection is booked for Tuesday 26th July, we already have 7+ dumpy bags filled and ready to go but, it would be nice if we could make it 10 since our last collection on 26th May! As such, can i put out an appeal to anybody who is collecting cans for Cans4City if you could drop them off at SJP sometime before midday on Monday 25th July. This will allow us enough time to sort them ready to be collected first thing the next morning.

Andy_H

Tomorrow's collection by ECC is 11 dumpy bags, not a bad collection since the end of last season, hopefully around 450/500kg.

1658762443324.jpeg

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tomorrow's collection by ECC is 11 dumpy bags, not a bad collection since the end of last season, hopefully around 450/500kg.

View attachment 8899
Out of curiosity how much wastage do you have from the drop offs i.e. non aluminium cans

Andy_H

Not as much as in the past as virtually all drinks cans are aluminium, except some of the old Falcon ones, but even they are now going over to aluminium. We still get about 15/20 steel food cans a week, but we just remove them as the cans go into the crusher so it's no big deal. Although it certainly was a few years back when Pepsi were changing from steel to aluminium, and a few of the smaller drinks companies were also changing over to aluminium, then we had to hand sort every bags.

Andy_H

The weighbridge certificate says 500kg, so at £828 per ton that's a very nice £414.50p. Thanks to all concerned in the collection, and to those who 'endured' the 'hardship' of drinking all those cans - keep up the good work!

Andy_H

With our next collection due next Tuesday 27th Sept today has been a bagging up day and we have 13 dumpy bags full and ready to go. With the rate cans are coming in lately we might even have enough by next Monday afternoon for another dumpy bag, so possibly 14!
At a rough 'guestimate' that could be around 650kg [ish]. As Arthur Daly would say, "A nice little earner" of, depending on the current price for sorted aluminium, anything up to £600+.

1663694600903.jpeg

As always, many thanks to all those who help in however a big or small way, it all helps us achieve these fantastic totals, it certainly make me proud to be a Grecian, 'The Caring club'.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
With our next collection due next Tuesday 27th Sept today has been a bagging up day and we have 13 dumpy bags full and ready to go. With the rate cans are coming in lately we might even have enough by next Monday afternoon for another dumpy bag, so possibly 14!
At a rough 'guestimate' that could be around 650kg [ish]. As Arthur Daly would say, "A nice little earner" of, depending on the current price for sorted aluminium, anything up to £600+.

View attachment 9202

As always, many thanks to all those who help in however a big or small way, it all helps us achieve these fantastic totals, it certainly make me proud to be a Grecian, 'The Caring club'.
Apologies.
I misread 'Caring'
So many cans ...

Andy_H

After a quick logistical change of plan, the cans were collected this morning, so no time to possibly full a 14th bag, however the 13 that went produced a very respectable 600kg, so at £800 per ton that's £480, not to be sniffed at.

This will now mean that we can soon make another healthy donation towards Kit out the Cliff Hill fund.

So far this 'financial year' 1/4/22 - 26/9/22 Cans4City has raised £2545.72 for projects within ECFC and the wider ECFC Community.

As far as i can gather, Cans4City is a truly unique 'circular economy waste management' scheme, not only if the UK Football community but possibly in waste management in general. Not even the 'Green Heros' of the EFL - FGR - have anything remotely similar. So fellow Grecians step forward and take a bow, as with many things ECFC is setting a trend for others to follow.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
After a quick logistical change of plan, the cans were collected this morning, so no time to possibly full a 14th bag, however the 13 that went produced a very respectable 600kg, so at £800 per ton that's £480, not to be sniffed at.

This will now mean that we can soon make another healthy donation towards Kit out the Cliff Hill fund.

So far this 'financial year' 1/4/22 - 26/9/22 Cans4City has raised £2545.72 for projects within ECFC and the wider ECFC Community.

As far as i can gather, Cans4City is a truly unique 'circular economy waste management' scheme, not only if the UK Football community but possibly in waste management in general. Not even the 'Green Heros' of the EFL - FGR - have anything remotely similar. So fellow Grecians step forward and take a bow, as with many things ECFC is setting a trend for others to follow.
TBH Andy I'm amazed (In a good way) that this has been so sucessful, To keep people interested and dontating the cans/having collection points in no mean feat, Hats off to you and everyone else involved my friend. 👏 👏