• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

'Cans for City' - revived

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Here you go - I think there’s about 15 carriers in there and I’ve now moved onto bin bags

Attachments

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
A quick reminder.
I’m sure we all have a few drinks cans ready for the trash bin in the past few days.
Crush & bag,then drop them at the collection point in Red Square if you are passing.

Andy_H

The next bulk collection of cans by ECC is booked for AM Tuesday 8th February. If you have any bags of cans stored away in your garden shed or garage then, if possible, please drop them off at SJP or any of the other collection points before then.

Andy_H

At half time a today’s game v Hartlepool ECFC will be receiving an award for their Aluminium Can recycling scheme ‘Cans4City’ this award is made by the, not for profit, organisation Every Can Counts in recognition of the uniqueness of the scheme within the EFL.

In Red Square before the match there will be a chance for fans, both young and old but mainly young, to have a bit of fun by using part of the award prize, a can crushing machine.

Originally started in 2005 as ‘Cans for City’, this scheme was revised in 2013 and plodded along until it gained a fresh impetus in 2019 when it went into partnership with Exeter City Council Resources Recovery Team. Since then the scheme has flourished and to date has recycled over 6 tonnes, roughly 360,000 sorted aluminium drinks cans, generating almost £5000 for items & monetary donations towards schemes within ECFC & the ECFC wider Community.

Among those recipients of donations have been;
ECFC Ladies Football team, CCT Social Café, CCT Food programme, the Bench and the ‘Returning Soldier’ for the Memorial Garden, a fridge for the home changing room, plus many, many other small but equally important ECFC related projects.

Bridgy 81

At half time a today’s game v Hartlepool ECFC will be receiving an award for their Aluminium Can recycling scheme ‘Cans4City’ this award is made by the, not for profit, organisation Every Can Counts in recognition of the uniqueness of the scheme within the EFL.

In Red Square before the match there will be a chance for fans, both young and old but mainly young, to have a bit of fun by using part of the award prize, a can crushing machine.

Originally started in 2005 as ‘Cans for City’, this scheme was revised in 2013 and plodded along until it gained a fresh impetus in 2019 when it went into partnership with Exeter City Council Resources Recovery Team. Since then the scheme has flourished and to date has recycled over 6 tonnes, roughly 360,000 sorted aluminium drinks cans, generating almost £5000 for items & monetary donations towards schemes within ECFC & the ECFC wider Community.

Among those recipients of donations have been;
ECFC Ladies Football team, CCT Social Café, CCT Food programme, the Bench and the ‘Returning Soldier’ for the Memorial Garden, a fridge for the home changing room, plus many, many other small but equally important ECFC related projects.
Well done to you and your colleagues on this effort Andy.
Although I don’t live locally to Exeter I’ve seen your updates on here, so I started to put cans my household has used aside for this scheme.
As needed to drive past Exeter a week or so ago I made a small diversion and delivered my first sack to the collection point in Red Square.
I only brought crushed cans on that occasion but have just finished with a large biscuit tin.
If I stomp on that (and other things like it) could it be added to my next delivery, or is the scheme limited to just drink and food cans?

Andy_H

Well done to you and your colleagues on this effort Andy.
Although I don’t live locally to Exeter I’ve seen your updates on here, so I started to put cans my household has used aside for this scheme.
As needed to drive past Exeter a week or so ago I made a small diversion and delivered my first sack to the collection point in Red Square.
I only brought crushed cans on that occasion but have just finished with a large biscuit tin.
If I stomp on that (and other things like it) could it be added to my next delivery, or is the scheme limited to just drink and food cans?
Bridgy 81,
Firstly thanks for your donation, especially as they were crushed, saves us time at this end.
Sorry but only aluminium drinks cans are accepted, but any steel food cans etc can always be recycled via your local council kerbside collection.
The best was to distinguish between the two is to use a fridge magnet, if it stick to the can then it's steel, if not it's aluminium and just the type that we want.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster

Andy_H

Been into SJP today to bag up the cans ready for collection next Tuesday, all together there are 11 dumpy bags, so approx 450/500kg which, at the Feb price for sorted aluminium, should bring in around £400/450, maybe a tadge more.
1643738622569.jpeg

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well done Andy, you do a brilliant job with this.

Andy_H

Cheers Fred, but it's the folks who collect the cans that do the most work, i mean fancy having to drink all those cans, just for City! Mind you, sometimes the play drives you to drink!