• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

'Cans for City' - revived

Andy Holloway

Just a brief reminder that we will be collecting 'Cans for City' on Friday at the Chesterfield game.

The collection cages will be at; Red Square, Stadium Way turnstiles and OG turnstiles/Jungle path area.

Bring as many cans as you like, be that just 1 or 101 and if they could be bagged so much the better, it all helps handling them afterwards.

The cages will be signed courtesy of our good friends at Signs Express, many thanks for your help.

Andy Holloway

Grecian1966

Aliminium drinks cans, Tin food cans - both or either?

Andy Holloway

Aliminium drinks cans, Tin food cans - both or either?
ALUMINIUM cans only please, we have to guarentee it is sorted auluminium to get the top price.

Ordinary tin cans, food etc, can be recycled using your local recycling scheme, but if you do not have one, then you can always bring them along, but SEPERATED please, and we will dispose of them through ECC for you.

Andy

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
Well done Andy, as you know this is something that I've been fighting for to return for a while. At the end of the day its unbudgeted cash and should go straight to the trust coffers.

Somebody within the trust should set up the highest interest saving account at a high street bank in the name of the Supporters Trust. All unbudgeted money (the charity buckets are good but the trust bucket needs to return now) and cans for city money should be deposited in it and left to build up.

If fans do the job properly, they should sort, rinse, crush and bag the cans and if possible weigh it too. That way the manpower needed at the club's end resorts to little more than emptying smaller bags into larger bags ready to transport. If this gets going, the bucket returns, clothing recycle for city is started up, fundraising events are put on throughout the year e.g. barbecues, and other things, not only will the club generate additional, unbudgeted money, but people will become closer to the club again

Well done Andy, as you know this is something that I've been fighting for to return for a while. At the end of the day its unbudgeted cash and should go straight to the trust coffers.

Somebody within the trust should set up the highest interest saving account at a high street bank in the name of the Supporters Trust. All unbudgeted money (the charity buckets are good but the trust bucket needs to return now) and cans for city money should be deposited in it and left to build up.

If fans do the job properly, they should sort, rinse, crush and bag the cans and if possible weigh it too. That way the manpower needed at the club's end resorts to little more than emptying smaller bags into larger bags ready to transport. If this gets going, the bucket returns, clothing recycle for city is started up, fundraising events are put on throughout the year e.g. barbecues, and other things, not only will the club generate additional, unbudgeted money, but people will become closer to the club again
Spot on. A lot of this in the grand scheme of things might not be enough to give Tis the money to buy a new Striker but it is just as much about building bridges between the club, trust, fanbase and wider community as anything. If this is managed right there is no reason why it shouldn't bring people who would not otherwise have a connection to the club into contact with it, hopefully encouraging some to come more regularly or even start to come for the first time. It is what a Trust owned club should be about in my mind.

Last edited:

Andy Holloway

I've been into SJP this morning and the new signs were there and waiting for me, so a huge thank-you to Signs Express for your help, they are far and away grander than anything i have envisaged when we asked for them.
So the cages are signed and ready to place out tomorrow in time for the arrival of the throngs of devoted ECFC fans with their bags full of aluminium cans.

Thanks also to Andy Gillard at ECFC for your help, as well as to Dave Jenkins and ExeterCitysRealDeal for your posts above.

Andy

So we need 45,000 cans to make £400? The time spent organising, sorting, storing and transporting will cost?

I'm sure the heart is in the right place but come on £400 doesn't cover the drinks bill for Tagg & Tis at the Xmas party and this is 45,000 cans! The boys at the top are earning thousands every week and people at the bottom are collecting tin cans, god help this club.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
So we need 45,000 cans to make £400? The time spent organising, sorting, storing and transporting will cost?

I'm sure the heart is in the right place but come on £400 doesn't cover the drinks bill for Tagg & Tis at the Xmas party and this is 45,000 cans! The boys at the top are earning thousands every week and people at the bottom are collecting tin cans, god help this club.
Well as long as Taggy and Tis are on the cans of Strongbow at the Xmas party we will be quids in :)

Well as long as Taggy and Tis are on the cans of Strongbow at the Xmas party we will be quids in :)
Let's face it Moët doesn't come in cans. We really need to resign Steve Moran and Ronnie Jepson and even then we would need them to complete a serious session! Shambles.

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster

Spot on. Impossible to expect the majority of fans to bother when the board are cleaning up financially.