• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Can we afford to lose Ryan Bowman and Randell Williams in January ?

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Randell made the same run away at Grimsby recently. Not quite as far out as the argyle game but the same angle and result.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Williams is better than Randall in the air however how often do you see him attacking the back post ?? Nowhere near enough, either that is the manager not demanding he attacks that area or Williams doesn't do it because he doesn't want to.

Williams is capable of scoring 10 - 12 goals a season in league two however to do that he needs to get into better positions when the ball is on the opposite flank.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Both are replaceable, but it wouldn't make sense to sell anyone from the First XI in January when our primary concern should be to get out of League 2.Too many people forget that all it takes is one bad season and we are back in the Conference.We need that safety gap between us and that awful division desperately.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
At his very best Williams is our best player, that's why he's in the team every game. And while he's improved lately, he's been nowhere near his best so far this season.

I'd be very disappointed if we let him go for a small fee in January - with the money we've got in the bank the club must keep the squad together and not risk derailing a promotion bid. If anything they should be looking to back Matt Taylor with the signing of a quality centre-back and possibly a striker on loan in January, with Fisher or Seymour going out on loan.

fred binneys head

This is why I get so frustrated with Randell this season, he’s capable of so much more. My two bugbears with him are:

1. His lack of aggression
2. His predictability - always cutting inside, never taking the defender on on the outside

But when he’s on form, he’s a class act so I can understand the manager persevering. Geddon Rands.

STURTZ

Yes we have to face it, Matt Taylor generally knows best, many of us would have given up on your avatar many moons ago, as would many on mine!

Steve H

The way Taylor has the team set up, Williams is far more replaceable than Bowman at the moment.....

Ash

Any chance of an apology from TPC or even a note of regret?
I think that's a no...

Colesman Ballz

I think that's a no...
So much for being a "proper chap" eh ! (n)

IndoMike

Based on yesterday's game I'd say that Randell Williams is an essential cog in the current set-up of the team. Given his physique he's never likely to be an tough tackling physical player, however he provides yet another threat from a different direction. It was evident that the Tranmere defence (such as it was) couldn't work out how attacks were being built, and in that respect he offered yet another alternative. If there's a fault it's that he tries to take on too many players and eventually promising positions come to little, but he can be deadly effective as a crosser of the ball, and as he's proved in the past, capable of scoring goals. What impressed me about yesterday was what a good all round team performance it was. Still some work to do on defence, but's steadily improving as a squad.
Oh, and since I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else I'd also like to say how good the stewarding arrangements were yesterday, and sitting in the Stagecoach gave me an entirely different perspective on the game (though I'm looking forward to going 'home' to the IP stand!
Echo your opinion. I would think he is one of the first names on the team sheet. He obviously provides the team with something a little bit different and gives the opponents something to think about.
My point was that perhaps sometimes people have too high expectations of him. Like any other player at Div 2 level, there will always be a little bit of inconsistemcy in him, but overall he is a very good player at this level. And just to add, now that we seem to be getting more people in and around the box (Bowman seems to be getting in better positions now) I think his crossing will bear more fruit - after all last season he had a very good "assist" return.

Glad you were comfortable at the game. I' m sure the club will do all in its power to keep the fans as safe and satisfied as possible .Living abroad can be a pain sometimes, especially when you have to miss watching City at a pretty special time.