• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cameron Dawson {signs on loan for Exeter!}

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Fans August player of the month.

We done Cam!

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not just the job he’s been doing with the gloves, his voice and positive attitude have been noticed too! 👍🏻

dontpassback

Dawson is a good loan signing and I hope he enjoys his time here,and doesn’t want to leave,he has a good attitude and kudos to whoever got him in on loan

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just hope we can keep hold of him after January. Performances like his will be noticed by other clubs and it's not beyond the realms that he is recalled and then sent out on loan in Jan to a L1 club to increase his potential transfer value should his parent club be looking to sell him at the end of the season

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just hope we can keep hold of him after January. Performances like his will be noticed by other clubs and it's not beyond the realms that he is recalled and then sent out on loan in Jan to a L1 club to increase his potential transfer value should his parent club be looking to sell him at the end of the season
That's my fear too but it's worth remembering his parent club are in league one so, if he's not going to play for Wednesday, one would hope they don't want to loan him to a club in the same division.

Colesman Ballz

That's my fear too but it's worth remembering his parent club are in league one so, if he's not going to play for Wednesday, one would hope they don't want to loan him to a club in the same division.
It is also worth remembering that his manager was at WBA, and has plenty of experience of the benefits of loaning players to us.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
A point well made. If Wed had still been in the Championship the odds would have been much greater. However, should Dawson end up being our Player of the Season even if he is put up for sale and we achieve promotion I think his price would be sizeable

andrew p long

The complicating factor about Dawson's transfer value is that he is on a mahoosive 4.5 year Championship contract, signed in Jan 2020 when Dawson was in the middle of a 24 consecutive run in the Wednesday team in the Championship; Wednesday were doing very well (in mid January 2020 they had won 7 out of the previous 11 games). His wages must be (in our terms) huge and I hope we are paying only some of them!

He is now third choice out of five professional keepers at what is now a League One club. I suspect their priority will be to reduce their exposure to the next three years wages rather than to get a big (or any?) fee for him.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
The complicating factor about Dawson's transfer value is that he is on a mahoosive 4.5 year Championship contract, signed in Jan 2020 when Dawson was in the middle of a 24 consecutive run in the Wednesday team in the Championship; Wednesday were doing very well (in mid January 2020 they had won 7 out of the previous 11 games). His wages must be (in our terms) huge and I hope we are paying only some of them!

He is now third choice out of five professional keepers at what is now a League One club. I suspect their priority will be to reduce their exposure to the next three years wages rather than to get a big (or any?) fee for him.
what better way to reduce their exposure to his wages than by selling him lol

Grecian2K

Indeed.
And, from his point of view at his age, what would be a better career move. Moving to a club where he is already earning a favourable reputation (even in Arizona!!! :eek:), albeit on somewhat reduced remuneration and even if as a later "springboard" than spending his next three years at his parent club putting the kit out and rubbing down the bench splinters for No 1 or 2.

Football is (and always has been) a mercenary business but I would like to hope that, as long as he settles here (and, so far, the signs are good) and, of course, if the Owls want to get him off the payroll, an adequate - but not crippling - wage offer plus a fair release clause might serve both parties.

It could (rose-tinted fingers firmly crossed) be a win-win-win situation. Just pray that (after that first, inevitable, "fumble") he doesn't go onto Exeweb for "advice" from the resident glovesmanship coach. That WOULD be the end of a beautiful love affair.