• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cambridge Utd Versus Exeter City Discussion and prediction thread

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
The first of three interesting fixtures which by the end of it should confirm whether we have changed and are up for the challenge of promotion or are just the same old Exeter City failing short just when it matters. Cambridge and Scunthorpe (away on Tuesday) are two fixtures where historically everything points to an easy Exeter win but being Exeter we usually blow it, and with the large crowd on the following Saturday with the visit of Bury Argyle it's another opportunity to see if we can rise to the big occasion and get one over on the greenies or again just not turn up.

I fully anticipate Matty to utilise his squad during the three matches and resting some players ahead of the Greenies match, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Matt Jay starting in place of Nicky Law in either this match or on Tuesday, Likewise Nigel may well start ahead of Archie in his match fitness build up. We could even see Ben Seymour come on/start ahead of Lee Martin and Jayden Richardson for Randell

Cambridge are currently 16th in the division funnily enough on 16 points, the bulk of which they have picked up away from the Abbey Stadium. Their current home form is won 1 drawn 2 and lost 3 scoring 6 and letting in 8. Their current top scorer is that famous songwriter Sam Smith who is on a season long loan from Reading with 5 goals, closely followed by should I say veteran former Swindon and Northampton Town striker Marc Richards aged 37 with three goals to date this season and Paul Lewis who has also got three goals from Midfield.

Their current average attendance this season is just below 4000 with their last home fixture against Macclesfield attracting just over 3600. I would anticipate that with the town's proximity to London a fair few exiles will be up in force and that saturday's crowd will be 4268 with 538 Grecians making the trip.

Historically Cambridge is a good hunting ground for us and I think that it will continue to be so this weekend, Cambridge won't be able to contend with our Blitzkrieg tactics and will be 2 down in the first 15 finishing 0 -4 to Exeter Bowman x 2 Jay and Martin (A)

UTC

Corey

Think we’ll win this one 2-0 and should get at least 7 points from the next 3 games, would be disappointing if not.

exeter-loyal

Like to think we will win this. Keep the momentum going and get something out of Scunny on the following Tuesday then be pumped up to smash them f*****s on the Saturday.

And be Top of the League!!

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
Scunthorpe on a good run of form at the moment.....

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was waiting for the weekend before I mentioned that, as Matt says one game at a time

Red Devon

Don’t think we’ll see any team changes for Cambridge but wouldn’t be surprised to see at least four for the long trip to Scunny.

exeter-loyal

Would take 4 points out of 6 with the next 2 away.

GrecianExile

This is a really difficult week coming up with Cambridge away and Scunthorpe away, that’s a lot of travelling and tricky games followed by obviously the much awaited game v Plymouth.

I think I’ll go for a 2-1 win at Cambridge on Saturday, but too soon to predict the Scunthorpe game for me, I’d like to see if we get through the Cambridge one unscathed in terms of injuries first.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
We're now heading into the stage where it isn't just early days and the table is beginning to take some shape.

I feel like I say this a lot but these 3 games will give us a good idea as to where we're at. If we can come out of two away games and a derby with 6+ points we can start to feel (very) quietly confident.

IndoMike

We're now heading into the stage where it isn't just early days and the table is beginning to take some shape.

I feel like I say this a lot but these 3 games will give us a good idea as to where we're at. If we can come out of two away games and a derby with 6+ points we can start to feel (very) quietly confident.
Yep, averaging 2 points per game is more than enough for the autos. If we can beat Cambridge and Plymouth I wouldn't be to upset if we lost to Scunthorpe (but of course would prefer a point or three).
Sparkes, Law, Williams and Bowman (for example) could all be rested for Scunthorpe and be replaced with Woodman, Jay, Richardson and Fisher.