• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cambridge Utd FC v Exeter City FC Match Day Thread

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
He's just got Sansomitus at the moment and will return to former glories once he grows his hair back.
Kenny Sansom?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's fake news to an extent. All the transfer income gets divided three ways. One third goes towards the playing budget, spread over three years. In his time here MT has always had enhanced budgets. It might not have put us right at the top of the pile of League Two budgets, but it was certainly more than Tisdale had in 2016 or 2017.

No doubt we're near the bottom of League One budgets but MT would have known the budget wouldn't increase further without another sale this summer.

The Old Grandstand needed to be replaced before it fell down and likewise the portacabin at the Cliff Hill. I have no doubt that in future a bigger percentage of transfer income could be directed to the playing budget because once The Cliff Hill has been paid for I don't think we have many pressing infrastructure projects.
I'm not sure that the "Rule of Thirds" is still in effect; AFAIK the Club have not said this is the case in the commentary about the Cliff Hill delays, the capital cost of which is now £3M.

📝 Work set to begin on new facilities at training ground - News - Exeter City FC

As I have commented on other threads, we are getting a large increase (50% more) in money from the PL and TV cascade now we are in L1, and also more from higher attendances and ticket prices, but it's not clear where they are applying this. They have been much less open about the finances in the last few years than previously.

IndoMike

I'm not sure that the "Rule of Thirds" is still in effect; AFAIK the Club have not said this is the case in the commentary about the Cliff Hill delays, the capital cost of which is now £3M.

📝 Work set to begin on new facilities at training ground - News - Exeter City FC

As I have commented on other threads, we are getting a large increase (50% more) in money from the PL and TV cascade now we are in L1, and also more from higher attendances and ticket prices, but it's not clear where they are applying this. They have been much less open about the finances in the last few years than previously.
Wasn't there also money from Villa / Brentford for Villa staying up (Watkins)?
Transparency is extremely important, especially when the club is asking for contributions towards facilities for the new training ground and when many volunteer their time to help the club.
We also seem to have a lot of PR/Media
folks working for the club and various other individuals not related to the playing side or the shop side. Maybe that's just my imagination.
Anybody know how many directors we have? As far as I know, a company with our turnover would normally have about six.
I'm not casting aspersions on anyone, and the usual "how dare you ask questions like this" brigade will rage, but as you say, it would be nice to know. Maybe I can Google it?

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I do think people read what they want to read. I said:

"We were much the better side first half and deserved the lead. Great game really, end to end, I enjoyed it and ultimately could have gone either way."

------

MT himself commented on the lack of quality off the bench and said we looked worse with them on. He knows we need more quality and is also aware that we have had a straight forward start in terms of fixtures. No toys are being thrown. All I said was Jevani goes and we are substantially worse - there is a real chance of this happening IMO. Yes we'd get money but given that our training ground was an extra 800k and we have signed the least amount of players in the EFL I don't particularly trust he'd be replaced adequately right now. We await next week as MT has stated (again) that signings will happen before Saturday.

RE: Dieng, yes I think he was laboured yesterday and our worst player on the pitch. I don't think his game suits League 1 as much and will be benched for most of this season when Taylor gets that midfielder he wants. Doesn't mean I don't like him or think he has value, I do - but in a different way to last season (where he often came off as he struggles with 90 anyway in L2).
I was only questioning your point about Dieng, not the game in general. You seem to have inferred I was talking about you and toys being thrown, which I wasn't. So it is you who has read what they wanted to read.

Grecianpasty

I do think people read what they want to read. I said:

"We were much the better side first half and deserved the lead. Great game really, end to end, I enjoyed it and ultimately could have gone either way."

------

MT himself commented on the lack of quality off the bench and said we looked worse with them on. He knows we need more quality and is also aware that we have had a straight forward start in terms of fixtures. No toys are being thrown. All I said was Jevani goes and we are substantially worse - there is a real chance of this happening IMO. Yes we'd get money but given that our training ground was an extra 800k and we have signed the least amount of players in the EFL I don't particularly trust he'd be replaced adequately right now. We await next week as MT has stated (again) that signings will happen before Saturday.

RE: Dieng, yes I think he was laboured yesterday and our worst player on the pitch. I don't think his game suits League 1 as much and will be benched for most of this season when Taylor gets that midfielder he wants. Doesn't mean I don't like him or think he has value, I do - but in a different way to last season (where he often came off as he struggles with 90 anyway in L2).
With regards to MT's comments about the subs, I read the sub context of that as a cry to the board that we need more reinforcements. Although It also seems to be a knock on Jay, who should be affecting these types of games more as a substitute.

IndoMike

With regards to MT's comments about the subs, I read the sub context of that as a cry to the board that we need more reinforcements. Although It also seems to be a knock on Jay, who should be affecting these types of games more as a substitute.
He's implied on more than one occasion. that he is a bit frustrated with the current situation and has discreetly pointed his finger in the direction of the money-keepers

geoffwp

He's implied on more than one occasion. that he is a bit frustrated with the current situation and has discreetly pointed his finger in the direction of the money-keepers
You just invented that mike

jrg333

Not the worst result but does confirm to me that we need a left back who enjoys defending. You can't have a slow, converted winger rotating with a slow, converted centre back at wing back after a promotion. Sparkes might be the best ball striker in our squad but players like Coppinger, who plied his trade in L1 for years, would terrorise him. He just doesn't seem to enjoy the less glamourous aspects of being a wing back to me. Likewise Hartridge doesn't enjoy hugging the touchline enough to give us width as a wing back. I bet we have missed a few targets in this position this summer.

In before some old sod with 40,000+ posts accuses me of panicking...

STURTZ

Not the worst result but does confirm to me that we need a left back who enjoys defending. You can't have a slow, converted winger rotating with a slow, converted centre back at wing back after a promotion. Sparkes might be the best ball striker in our squad but players like Coppinger, who plied his trade in L1 for years, would terrorise him. He just doesn't seem to enjoy the less glamourous aspects of being a wing back to me. Likewise Hartridge doesn't enjoy hugging the touchline enough to give us width as a wing back. I bet we have missed a few targets in this position this summer.

In before some old sod with 40,000+ posts accuses me of panicking...
Don't panic!

(Actually you're dead right about a proper left back).

dontpassback

We played,we lost,the manager has said we weren’t 100% on it and I trust him to sort it.if we had been hammered 4 0 then it would be different,we will have games like this throughout the season,just let’s hope we get more victories