• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cambridge Utd FC v Exeter City FC Match Day Thread

Memphis09

Talk about doom and gloom. There was probably less on board the titanic as it went down! It does read like some folk revel in their negativity, know exactly what the manager is thinking and know precisely the financial situation of the club. Someone even found the comment 'get a grip' rude!! 😂. You could not make it up. Thank goodness for those balanced, thoughtful comments that keep things in the real world and out of the asylum.
Totally agree after the cup game we were the best team in the world one defeat is not a disaster all it points to is we need to add to the squad which we all know we are trying to do

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
People are getting very carried away after a narrow away defeat against what is one of the better sides in the division on a very challenging weather day for travelling players. We had enough chances to at least get a draw.

People already questioning if the players are good enough? There are only one or two players in that starting eleven (I'm not going to name them) who I have doubts about being at the level of this league, and even them I'm waiting to see how they do as the weeks go on before judging them. Max said Tim Dieng would be found out in League One - I can't believe that, he had a good game yesterday and has been a really calming influence playing a bit deeper this season to steady the ship and keep the game going.

And can people PLEASE wait until the end of the window before throwing their toys out of the pram about lack of signings?? We have players we can lose and have to sell at a given price, and the manager clearly does not want any old dross coming in so is clearly playing a waiting game on certain targets as the next 17 days unfold. Our decent start has bought some time and I am more worried about us doing too well in this league and losing our manager and players in January than going down, or actually being close to going down.

We have Wycombe on Tuesday which is another difficult game and people need to be patient right now, we are going in the right direction as a club in every sense, more than any time in my supporting time as a fan (a long time!).

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Talk about doom and gloom. There was probably less on board the titanic as it went down! It does read like some folk revel in their negativity, know exactly what the manager is thinking and know precisely the financial situation of the club. Someone even found the comment 'get a grip' rude!! 😂. You could not make it up. Thank goodness for those balanced, thoughtful comments that keep things in the real world and out of the asylum.
As usual Geoff you exaggerate out of all proportion in your heroic style
There is no doom and gloom. Nobody is saying we have a bad team. Nobody is saying we'll get relegated.
You see, there's this yer thread, and we are discussing one single game (with bits of Chelts thrown in). It's what football fans do.
We talk about players, how we played, what the manager did. It's perfectly normal.
We know we're not football experts, but we like the crack. What would you like us to do on a MDT?!

Grecian Max

People are getting very carried away after a narrow away defeat against what is one of the better sides in the division on a very challenging weather day for travelling players. We had enough chances to at least get a draw.

People already questioning if the players are good enough? There are only one or two players in that starting eleven (I'm not going to name them) who I have doubts about being at the level of this league, and even them I'm waiting to see how they do as the weeks go on before judging them. Max said Tim Dieng would be found out in League One - I can't believe that, he had a good game yesterday and has been a really calming influence playing a bit deeper this season to steady the ship and keep the game going.

And can people PLEASE wait until the end of the window before throwing their toys out of the pram about lack of signings?? We have players we can lose and have to sell at a given price, and the manager clearly does not want any old dross coming in so is clearly playing a waiting game on certain targets as the next 17 days unfold. Our decent start has bought some time and I am more worried about us doing too well in this league and losing our manager and players in January than going down, or actually being close to going down.

We have Wycombe on Tuesday which is another difficult game and people need to be patient right now, we are going in the right direction as a club in every sense, more than any time in my supporting time as a fan (a long time!).

I do think people read what they want to read. I said:

"We were much the better side first half and deserved the lead. Great game really, end to end, I enjoyed it and ultimately could have gone either way."

------

MT himself commented on the lack of quality off the bench and said we looked worse with them on. He knows we need more quality and is also aware that we have had a straight forward start in terms of fixtures. No toys are being thrown. All I said was Jevani goes and we are substantially worse - there is a real chance of this happening IMO. Yes we'd get money but given that our training ground was an extra 800k and we have signed the least amount of players in the EFL I don't particularly trust he'd be replaced adequately right now. We await next week as MT has stated (again) that signings will happen before Saturday.

RE: Dieng, yes I think he was laboured yesterday and our worst player on the pitch. I don't think his game suits League 1 as much and will be benched for most of this season when Taylor gets that midfielder he wants. Doesn't mean I don't like him or think he has value, I do - but in a different way to last season (where he often came off as he struggles with 90 anyway in L2).

geoffwp

What would you like us to do on a MDT?!
Be positive?
Stop slitting wrists?
Stop pretending you know the exact financial situation of the club?
Stop thinking you know what MT is thinking?

grecIAN Harris

RE: Dieng, yes I think he was laboured yesterday and our worst player on the pitch. I don't think his game suits League 1 as much and will be benched for most of this season when Taylor gets that midfielder he wants. Doesn't mean I don't like him or think he has value, I do - but in a different way to last season (where he often came off as he struggles with 90 anyway in L2).
He's just got Sansomitus at the moment and will return to former glories once he grows his hair back.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Taylor hasn't been especially backed at all - in fact he has clearly stated that he has a Div 2 budget for a Div 1. team.
That's fake news to an extent. All the transfer income gets divided three ways. One third goes towards the playing budget, spread over three years. In his time here MT has always had enhanced budgets. It might not have put us right at the top of the pile of League Two budgets, but it was certainly more than Tisdale had in 2016 or 2017.

No doubt we're near the bottom of League One budgets but MT would have known the budget wouldn't increase further without another sale this summer.

The Old Grandstand needed to be replaced before it fell down and likewise the portacabin at the Cliff Hill. I have no doubt that in future a bigger percentage of transfer income could be directed to the playing budget because once The Cliff Hill has been paid for I don't think we have many pressing infrastructure projects.

IndoMike

Be positive?
Stop slitting wrists?
Stop pretending you know the exact financial situation of the club?
Stop thinking you know what MT is thinking?
Blimey, you're Exeweb's Stephen King
What a load of bow locks.

IndoMike

That's fake news to an extent. All the transfer income gets divided three ways. One third goes towards the playing budget, spread over three years. In his time here MT has always had enhanced budgets. It might not have put us right at the top of the pile of League Two budgets, but it was certainly more than Tisdale had in 2016 or 2017.

No doubt we're near the bottom of League One budgets but MT would have known the budget wouldn't increase further without another sale this summer.

The Old Grandstand needed to be replaced before it fell down and likewise the portacabin at the Cliff Hill. I have no doubt that in future a bigger percentage of transfer income could be directed to the playing budget because once The Cliff Hill has been paid for I don't think we have many pressing infrastructure projects.
I just read you're first few words, stopped and thought :
"Eh, it was Matt Taylor who said it". And when asked for proof I sent it.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I do think people read what they want to read. I said:

"We were much the better side first half and deserved the lead. Great game really, end to end, I enjoyed it and ultimately could have gone either way."

------

MT himself commented on the lack of quality off the bench and said we looked worse with them on. He knows we need more quality and is also aware that we have had a straight forward start in terms of fixtures. No toys are being thrown. All I said was Jevani goes and we are substantially worse - there is a real chance of this happening IMO. Yes we'd get money but given that our training ground was an extra 800k and we have signed the least amount of players in the EFL I don't particularly trust he'd be replaced adequately right now. We await next week as MT has stated (again) that signings will happen before Saturday.

I was only watching on iFollow but I thought Dieng did ok, especially in the second half. There are 3 are 4 players who I thought had worse games, if only because they seemed to struggle more with the heat.

As someone who was at the game what did you make of the incident just before we scored when Jevani appeared to be pulled back when through on goal? It was hard to tell from the side-on camera whether there was any contact.