• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cambridge United v Exeter City FA Cup 2nd Round Match Day Thread

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
It’s been reported that the Grecians have received a official apology from the match officials about the decision to reverse the offside given against Cambridge’s Sam Smith...*****
I'd like to see and read the "official apology" for myself. FA appointed match officials are not allowed to discuss aspects of any past games by any means. Imagine the furor it would cause, with people suggesting the match officials got a decision wrong.

sidney

Forgive me for being a little pedantic, but our ball would not have been the ball drawn out for Cambridge Utd. So it is very unlikely that we would be playing Newcastle United. We would simply have been in the third round draw, nothing more or less.

denzel

Forgive me for being a little pedantic, but our ball would not have been the ball drawn out for Cambridge Utd. So it is very unlikely that we would be playing Newcastle United. We would simply have been in the third round draw, nothing more or less.
Yes it would. Whoever won would be ball number 53, and so we would have played Newcastle

PeteUSA

Yes it would. Whoever won would be ball number 53, and so we would have played Newcastle

Whatever, I'm just pleased that things got sorted out to everybodys satisfaction.

Red Bill

Imagine if someone had been adamantly defending the refs decision, wow they'd be feeling such a tit wouldn’t they!
But no one would be that stupid though.....Oh hang on!

PeteUSA

Imagine if someone had been adamantly defending the refs decision, wow they'd be feeling such a tit wouldn’t they!
But no one would be that stupid though.....Oh hang on!
Byl, I'm not buying the "Exeter City have recieved an apology report", since its been generated from within the club. I refuse to accept that story, since if it were true, it could cause all kinds of ramifications within the club which could then generate unrest within the supporters. The FA providing an apology like that where the suggestion is that the goal should have been disallowed is extremely rare. I suspect that if a communication was recieved from the FA, it was to apologise for the confusion over the goal being allowed, and certainly not to suggest the decision was incorrect. The FA will stand by the match officials regarding that, irrespective of how the goal was arrived at.

Last edited:

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Byl, I'm not buying the "Exeter City have recieved an apology report", since its been generated from within the club. I refuse to accept that story, since if it were true, it could cause all kinds of ramifications within the club which could then generate unrest within the supporters. The FA providing an apology like that where the suggestion is that the goal should have been disallowed is extremely rare. I suspect that if a letter was recieved from the FA, it was to apologise for the confusion over the goal being allowed, and not to suggest the decision was incorrect.
Don't think it's the first time ECFC has received a written apology - will let you know when I find it

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Starter for 10

Spoonz Red E

Byl, I'm not buying the "Exeter City have recieved an apology report", since its been generated from within the club. I refuse to accept that story, since if it were true, it could cause all kinds of ramifications within the club which could then generate unrest within the supporters. The FA providing an apology like that where the suggestion is that the goal should have been disallowed is extremely rare. I suspect that if a communication was recieved from the FA, it was to apologise for the confusion over the goal being allowed, and certainly not to suggest the decision was incorrect. The FA will stand by the match officials regarding that, irrespective of how the goal was arrived at.
I will be amazed if the Club has gone public with this if it doesn't exist.
The FA would come down on us like a ton of bricks if it was made up.

Rosencrantz

It really isn't that hard to find occasions where the officials have apologised for incorrect decisions.

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/football/football-manchester-uniteds-solskjaer-says-referees-admitted-key-errors-in-blades

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/video-referee-forgets-rules-newcastle-game-after-disallowing-a-penalty

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aitor-karanka-blasts-referee-apologies-19901909 (you have to scroll down quite a bit).

https://www.rangersnews.uk/club-news/referee-apologises-to-rangers-after-game-changing-blunder-report/

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/cobblers-receive-apology-over-controversial-penalty-decision-in-charlton-defeat-3162597

The one thing they all have in common along with us is that an apology doesn't equate to points, or in our case, cup cash boosts.