• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 198 52.4%
  • Out

Votes: 180 47.6%

• Total voters

ExmouthMart

The worry for me is that all the hard work is being undone so quickly.

My very real concern is that we go down, still don't act and give Gary the chance to turn it around and we find ourselves bottom of League 2 at Xmas aka Forest Green.

OTT in many peoples eyes I'm sure, but getting rid of him now isn't just about preserving League 1 status, it could be our football league status.
That’s exactly what will happen. Caldwell has a long contract. We don’t sack Managers based on poor results and both Boards fully support the Manager. We are indeed a unique Club and the worse thing is we are powerless to change anything quickly as all the processes for change take for ever.

simcity

My very real concern is that we go down, still don't act and give Gary the chance to turn it around and we find ourselves bottom of League 2 at Xmas aka Forest Green.

OTT in many peoples eyes I'm sure, but getting rid of him now isn't just about preserving League 1 status, it could be our football league status.
Based on Caldwell's records at previous jobs and our board's lack of action I think this is a real possibility and we'll be having the same conversations next Christmas..."he just needs to sign a striker in January...."

i8cornwall

8 out of 10 cat owners who expressed a preference.........
They preferred Gary not to be their cats Vet so least we have that in common.

StudentGrecian

I just can't see him taking us down and staying. Surely they would have to act given how vocal the criticism would be at SJP for the rest of year. They have been lucky to avoid the worst of it so far, but if we lose Saturday then the Bank will have been lost for the rest of the season imo. Real toxic and they would have to act if things didn't pick up after January.

Reactions: Ash

Boyo

Yes, performances have been better. But we've only earnt a point a game. That's still relegation form... and I haven't mentioned the previous 10 games.

On their own, the last five games are acceptable. The same form over an extended period is unacceptable, imho, as it would result in relegation.

The reason some of us are so vociferous now isn't because we hate Gary Caldwell, far from it. We really, really want him to do well. He just isn't, and I personally don't think he can, and the consequences of that are a very large possibility that we will carry the same malaise into 24/25. If that's the case, I won't be upset. I'll be furious.

...and if I'm wrong, I'll be a very, very happy Grecian.
Anyone that spends more than 5 minutes on Exeweb, wants the club to do well and the manager to be a success. That would make us all very, very happy.

We also all agree that the current position in the table is poor. Whereas lots of people appear to be apportioning lots of the blame on the current manager's shoulders, I personally, am spreading the blame more thinly. My view is that investment in the team is a greater priority than changing managers.

Alternatively, if we sack him, appoint someone new, who saves our season, I'll be delighted.

JGrecian23

I just can't see him taking us down and staying. Surely they would have to act given how vocal the criticism would be at SJP for the rest of year. They have been lucky to avoid the worst of it so far, but if we lose Saturday then the Bank will have been lost for the rest of the season imo. Real toxic and they would have to act if things didn't pick up after January.
There is no toxicity at SJP. Tisdale never got much more than a few weak chants (trust me I was trying to get them going).

WHEN we go down, he will keep his job. I can assure you of that.

ExmouthMart

Someone once said that opinion polls are like driving while looking in the rear view mirror - provides useful information, dangerous to rely on.

However, democracy could be described as the dictatorship of those who vote, and meetings the dictatorship of those who turn up.

And without getting into party politics, democracy is great if you agree with the outcome, not so good if you don't.

Though I'm not sure Nick Hawker would agree that he holds the reins. Being "Chair" doesn't make you omnipotent, and he is a non-voting Chair anyway. His views are important, sure, he's chaired both Boards for the last few years, but he's only one voice on both.
But as he’s the one doing the talking you would imagine he speaks for all of them. I always thought the ’Chair’ was the Leader but perhaps again it’s different for fete committees. The Club have already shown how they deal with protest, so remember this is what they think about you disapproving of the Manager. They basically don’t care and only offer up stalling tactics like I’m sure it will get better eventually and an unprecedented amount of money is available for an undisclosed transfer fee that on the other clubs insistence will never be divulged. It’s the failure to grasp the fact that it’s all about the results and when you keep bleating on about look at where we are now, people are naturally going to start asking direct questions about this philosophy when it’s quite clearly not working.

berniesworld

Based on Caldwell's records at previous jobs and our board's lack of action I think this is a real possibility and we'll be having the same conversations next Christmas..."he just needs to sign a striker in January...."
It’s going to be a long old slog for us supporters if they keep the bugger for the whole of his contract 🙈

ExmouthMart

There’s no need to act yet for the board but wait till it’s season ticket sales time! How many of the record sales will be renewing for next season?! How many more match day experience enhancement screens will we need?! Will we have a whimpering Nick Hawker begging supporters to return from one of those open and transparent interviews live from one of his many late night stays at the training ground. You know the ones where he’s sick when we lose but quickly reminds himself about how bad it was years ago…….

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
There’s no need to act yet for the board but wait till it’s season ticket sales time! How many of the record sales will be renewing for next season?! How many more match day experience enhancement screens will we need?! Will we have a whimpering Nick Hawker begging supporters to return from one of those open and transparent interviews live from one of his many late night stays at the training ground. You know the ones where he’s sick when we lose but quickly reminds himself about how bad it was years ago…….
Jon Beer made an interesting point on the MNFC podcast, he said that 'a lot' of season ticket holders aren't coming to games (I've missed one or two myself). This is an issue because clearly a fair amount of these supporters won't renew their tickets if things continue as they are.