• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Buying a house

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Easy walk to SJP though or One stop on the train 😎
Walk..... Ah yes I can just remember doing that.
Got a bus pass, so free ride. Not sure I could make it up those steps from the station. Bit like Everest for me. I have enough trouble climbing to my seat in the IP.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
We are in the process of selling and buying, should be close to exchanging now, started the process about 12 weeks ago.

Solicitors are a nightmare and the whole transaction could easily be done in half the time. You think you have everything sorted, you send everything back, then about 3 weeks later you get an email asking you to dig out some document from years previous - why didn't they ask for that in the first place?!

Anyway, nearly done now - fingers crossed! I can see why people say it's one of life's most stressful processes.

Trapdoor

Have to say the solicitor I used for my house sale has been brilliant.

She always responded to my emails within an hour, was very patient answering all my questions and called out the buyers BS questions when they arose.

Of the 4 flats/houses I've sold in my lifetime she has been easily the best conveyancing solicitor I ever dealt with.

Shame my purchase is going so badly, but there isn't anything anyone can do about it. The probate process is darned stupid.

Alistair20000

Have to say the solicitor I used for my house sale has been brilliant.

She always responded to my emails within an hour, was very patient answering all my questions and called out the buyers BS questions when they arose.

Of the 4 flats/houses I've sold in my lifetime she has been easily the best conveyancing solicitor I ever dealt with.

Shame my purchase is going so badly, but there isn't anything anyone can do about it. The probate process is darned stupid.
WFT is contributing to the gross and indefensible delays in the Probate Office and Court of Protection. These bodies should deal with applications very quickly in view of the subject matter and it is not happening. :mad:

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
We bought in 2020 and couldn't fault our solicitor. It was a new build and the developer’s solicitor was atrocious, but ours dragged them over the line in the face of constant delays. 2 years later and we're inevitably in dispute with the developer over numerous problems, and our solicitor is still being great. Sure we're paying them, but I think this has been much more work than a normal sale.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
After 24 hours of excitement, the vendor of our prospective purchase has already about turned and wants more. She can do one.

:mad: 🤬🤮

i8cornwall

Brought my first house recently....I say house it isn't actually fully built yet.

I'm going to try to avoid the horror stories on this thread I think haha 😄

Trapdoor

WFT is contributing to the gross and indefensible delays in the Probate Office and Court of Protection. These bodies should deal with applications very quickly in view of the subject matter and it is not happening. :mad:
There's nothing stopping people putting in spurious caveat claims indefinitely which automatically delay the process by 6 months. As far as I can tell there is no penalty to the people doing so. So if you want to be a complete pain in the arse and annoy the benefactors you can just delay the process almost indefinitely.

crocks

We moved just over a year ago. Solicitors absolutely destroyed any pleasure that might have been gained from the business - an absolute bunch of shysters in my experience. Everything is electronic now, correspondence is sent and received instantly at a touch of the Send button, so why do they take literally weeks to sort simple problems? A lot seems to be done (or not done) from their own homes and I can't see why they fail to follow their remit unless you yell at them down the phone.

My advice to you would be to nag, nag, nag the bastards because if you don't you will remain at the bottom of the pile. They oil the squeaky wheel.

Rant over.
For now.
My mother passed last April (2021) and she made the solicitor (Ashfords) the executor. Property was finally sold early February to a cash buyer. So no chain whatsoever, no mortgage involved, a straight forward cash buyer. The sale took FIVE months to complete. I have never known such incompetence from Ashford and the estate agent , Welden & Edwards (Tiverton)....how they have the cheek to charge what they do for their services, or lack of should I say.

cannockred

After 24 hours of excitement, the vendor of our prospective purchase has already about turned and wants more. She can do one.

:mad: 🤬🤮
Any more news spanks?