• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Buying a house

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
This thread will not become Lez's Pond mkII.

So, having been married for nearly 10 years, I need a bigger garage to escape to.

Sold our hovel, STC, about 6 weeks ago, and we've finally found a shack to upsize to with no onward chain, so that should hopefully get us fixed before the rates go too silly.

Any do's or don'ts? Experiences? Horror stories?

Trapdoor

Just sold my house last week.

House we agreed to buy is still waiting on grant of probate 6 months after having the offer accepted. Having to live with in-laws now, less than ideal.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
This thread will not become Lez's Pond mkII.

So, having been married for nearly 10 years, I need a bigger garage to escape to.

Sold our hovel, STC, about 6 weeks ago, and we've finally found a shack to upsize to with no onward chain, so that should hopefully get us fixed before the rates go too silly.

Any do's or don'ts? Experiences? Horror stories?
Are you “doing up” the new abode ?

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Are you “doing up” the new abode ?
It's only about 6 years old. Lick of paint here, replace some skirting board there (where the current owners dog had a chewing fit) and it'll be good to go Al.

We'll have a look at the carpets down the line, because they've been chosen by a blind person imho. :ROFLMAO:

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
We moved just over a year ago. Solicitors absolutely destroyed any pleasure that might have been gained from the business - an absolute bunch of shysters in my experience. Everything is electronic now, correspondence is sent and received instantly at a touch of the Send button, so why do they take literally weeks to sort simple problems? A lot seems to be done (or not done) from their own homes and I can't see why they fail to follow their remit unless you yell at them down the phone.

My advice to you would be to nag, nag, nag the bastards because if you don't you will remain at the bottom of the pile. They oil the squeaky wheel.

Rant over.
For now.

cannockred

We moved just over a year ago. Solicitors absolutely destroyed any pleasure that might have been gained from the business - an absolute bunch of shysters in my experience. Everything is electronic now, correspondence is sent and received instantly at a touch of the Send button, so why do they take literally weeks to sort simple problems? A lot seems to be done (or not done) from their own homes and I can't see why they fail to follow their remit unless you yell at them down the phone.

My advice to you would be to nag, nag, nag the bastards because if you don't you will remain at the bottom of the pile. They oil the squeaky wheel.

Rant over.
For now.
So they can justify their exorbitant fees!

cannockred

In addition to the above, when I bought my first house with my then partner, we found a house, arranged a mortgage, bought and moved in - all in 2 weeks, with no fees and a 2k bonus-because a firm of solicitors wanted our flat. 🤔

Alistair20000

It's only about 6 years old. Lick of paint here, replace some skirting board there (where the current owners dog had a chewing fit) and it'll be good to go Al.

We'll have a look at the carpets down the line, because they've been chosen by a blind person imho. :ROFLMAO:
Sounds a tad better than a “shack” Spankers.

I was on the verge of sending you my support pack “Home Improvements, The Difficult One: Surviving O’Reilly”

iscalad

Bought my house in 1997. Not yet over the trauma.

Oldsmobile-88

Bought my house in 1997. Not yet over the trauma.
Easy walk to SJP though or One stop on the train 😎