• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bury v Exeter City Official Matchday Thread.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
We started the second half so well, we dominated a lot of the play, but the missed penalty took our committent a notch, then conceding the second goal, torrential rain and heads did drop.

Holmes put in a spectacular amount of effort in the second half.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Okay, a few things on the plus side from yesterday:

A lot more attempts to play football rather than sling the ball up front, especially second half.
Ogbene looked very good indeed when he was able to get on the ball.
Lee Martin had a good game when he came on, the first time I have thought so.
Nicky Law looked very comfortable in the centre and put in some excellent challenges defensively in that position.
We reacted well to going behind and put them on the back foot until we missed the penalty.

Get your money on us to beat Crewe.
Sorry, bit late commenting on this match. While I agree with much of what you say the flipside is that we only really started playing well after we had already conceded a goal and we also never really tested the keeper for the entire match. After the reasonably promising performance against Colchester I was confident we would beat Macclesfield so not sure how we will do against Crewe. All of which is to say that four months into the season i still don't have much of an idea of how good we are or where we will end up finishing this season

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
To be fair Sweeney's pens were generally top quality until he started missing, then his confidence seemed to evaporate. He's our best penalty taker however he needed to be taken off them for his own benefit, if he had missed another one it would have been terrible for him, his performances have been bad enough lately without another penalty miss added to the mix.

Looking through our squad I'd probably say one of Holmes, Law or Lee Martin will be taking the next one however it obviously depends who is on the pitch when we have one.
Arguably Sweeney's confidence has never been the same since he missed the penalty against Notts County and he hasn't been the same player since. That reminds of something Reuben Reid used to say about why he was always willing to take penalties - 'it's not that I'm confident of scoring but that I know I can cope with the feeling if I miss.'

As for Jayden he rarely scores from more than 10 yards out which perhaps suggests he is not the best at long-range shooting and maybe does not have the best natural technique for taking penalties. Personally I have always liked the old rule of thumb that the person who was fouled shouldn't take the penalty.

Overall it's ironic that we've won three penalty shoot-outs this season but failed to score our last four in actual matches.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Looked like there could have been a slight deflection
That’s what I thought.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
That’s what I thought.
You mean a deflection that took the ball inside the post as opposed to going wide? Because I still think Pym might be disappointed at not doing better, and perhaps thought that shot was originally going wide.