• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bury v Exeter City Official Matchday Thread.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Highlights from yesterday
]
[video=youtube;h6PS3jWPa78]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6PS3jWPa78[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6PS3jWPa78

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Okay, a few things on the plus side from yesterday:

A lot more attempts to play football rather than sling the ball up front, especially second half.
Ogbene looked very good indeed when he was able to get on the ball.
Lee Martin had a good game when he came on, the first time I have thought so.
Nicky Law looked very comfortable in the centre and put in some excellent challenges defensively in that position.
We reacted well to going behind and put them on the back foot until we missed the penalty.

Get your money on us to beat Crewe.
The problem is when you can't beg, steal or borrow a goal, the confidence takes a hammering. I think MT needs to have someone that can reassure him that things can change quickly and help to rebuild his own belief...I'm not sure he has that person...

Stelios

Okay, a few things on the plus side from yesterday:

A lot more attempts to play football rather than sling the ball up front, especially second half.
Ogbene looked very good indeed when he was able to get on the ball.
Lee Martin had a good game when he came on, the first time I have thought so.
Nicky Law looked very comfortable in the centre and put in some excellent challenges defensively in that position.
We reacted well to going behind and put them on the back foot until we missed the penalty.

Get your money on us to beat Crewe.
That's how it came across on the radio. Didn't feel all doom and gloom. Obviously not great either(!)

re: the 2nd goal it looked like a very good pass which cut right through us. I was expecting to see a long ball hoofed up the middle. The only player near the ball and player was A Martin so was he to blame? Seems a bit harsh. Or did MT want the ball cut out before he passed it?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
re: the 2nd goal it looked like a very good pass which cut right through us. I was expecting to see a long ball hoofed up the middle. The only player near the ball and player was A Martin so was he to blame? Seems a bit harsh. Or did MT want the ball cut out before he passed it?
I was expecting the same, i.e. a ball that bounced, it was a more incisive goal than I was expecting, also considering we were pushing forward there are going to be openings for the opposition. Most goals can be avoided however that wasn't a shocking goal to concede.

I don't think our full backs get tight enough though. It may be harsh however Sweeney could have got in the face of their wide men leading up to the first goal. All three of our full backs, Sweeney, Moxey and Woodman have a habit of giving their opponents lots of space and time, all three lack pace so they shouldn't be giving opponents so much freedom, we need to be biting into things more. As a team we seem to stand off too much at the moment.

Last edited:

Stelios

I don't think our full backs get tight enough though. It may be harsh however Sweeney could have got in the face of their wide men leading up to the first goal. All three of our full backs, Sweeney, Moxey and Woodman have a habit of giving their opponents lots of space and time, all three lack pace so they shouldn't be giving opponents so much freedom, we need to be biting into things more. As a team we seem to stand off too much at the moment.
I agree. The first goal looked softer, to me. It was a great strike but before that Sweeney not tight enough, we had loads of players back but none were close to their player who had loads of time and and space on the edge of the box.

Stelios

Also looked like Stockley stubbed his toe and we were fortunate to get that pen?

manc grecian

Both goals came from the inside of the right full back...

PeteUSA

I'm of the firm belief that Pym thought the shot for the first goal was going wide.

Red Devon

I'm of the firm belief that Pym thought the shot for the first goal was going wide.
Looked like there could have been a slight deflection

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I appreciate we were 2 - 0 down and the game was pretty much over but the effort from our lads in what appears to be Bury's last meaningful attack was very poor (see youtube highlights around 1.55 mark).

Sweeney is gently backing off, Jake Taylor doesn't look like he cared and to a lesser extent Aaaron Martin was hardly putting his body on the line.

The manager should be looking at these things and asking the players why they happened and if they consider it to be acceptable. The least we should demand is 100% effort, if the players aren't fit enough that's not acceptable either.