• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bury fan in peace.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's annoying to see the Neville's crying crocodile tears over the demise of their "hometown club".
Especially when you consider they poured their riches into creating and promoting a new, nearby "plastic" rival! :mad:
TBF if they had an ounce of common sense, they would have stayed away, with the amount of debt on the place. I don't get why people, slate the Neville brothers and the rest of the class of 92, they have chose a club to back, and are in it with full commitment. Isn't this what most fans want from their owners.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
TBF if they had an ounce of common sense, they would have stayed away, with the amount of debt on the place. I don't get why people, slate the Neville brothers and the rest of the class of 92, they have chose a club to back, and are in it with full commitment. Isn't this what most fans want from their owners.
NP at all with the Nevilles etc backing a club … But when it comes to the majority shareholder buying the naming rights to a pi$$pot ground the same size as Exmouth's for 10.3 million and then having that as earnings to buy championship / League 1 players on 4k a week to basically buy their way to promotions it takes the pi$$ out of the finanicial fairplay rules !
4/5 years ago they were playing to crowds of 165 now they get crowds in excess of 3k ! is it because locals have recently thought " Oh I'll take in a game at Salford instead of going to Old Trafford / Liverpool or even watching the results come in on the telly " No its because most probably are Sarfender types thinking they can be part of the clubs future while the 92 boys are there.
TBH I hope the owner gets bored pulls out and they end up having to work their way to promotions the same as other teams have to with hard work #SalfordSubbuteoSoccer.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
To my eternal surprise I find myself agreeing with Ramone again (on this at least, and probably this alone)
If Bury were to be allowed an instant "golden ticket" back into L2 it would not only be an insult to the Accrington's, Wimbledon's, Newport's (and, arguably, ECFCs) who have, through the hard work and love of their supporters(AND NOT FLY-BY-NIGHT SPIVS AND SPECULATORS) have fought their way back into the EFL.
Not only that but it would be open door for all such S&S's to throw caution to the wind, secure in the knowledge that, even if the worse came to worse, they would still have the precedent of a comfort blanket down in L2.
The biggest problem (as far as the EFL is concerned) is that L2 could soon become so overburdened with impecunious former spendthrifts that it could become a 48 team league if such an easy escape route were gifted. While L1 (and even the Championship) became almost empty rooms where the handful of "bigger clubs" could play ping-pong with their "parachute payments"

Banksy

Yes , you wonder if giving Bury such a ‘golden ticket’ would create some sort of legal precedent that other failed teams could use as a lifeline against the EFL demoting them. Surely even the foolish Football League won’t sanction this.

LOG

Apologies if i've missed it but has anything definite been said about where the additional side comes from for next season? At present the L2 table on the BBC shows only one team relegated and then two coming up which would achieve this but if Bury were allowed to join L2 next season, how would that work?

I believe that the number of sides relegated to and promoted from the National League has to be agreed between them and the EFL and i can't see that the National League would agree to having only one promoted just to sort out an EFL problem.

Apologies if i've missed it but has anything definite been said about where the additional side comes from for next season? At present the L2 table on the BBC shows only one team relegated and then two coming up which would achieve this but if Bury were allowed to join L2 next season, how would that work?

I believe that the number of sides relegated to and promoted from the National League has to be agreed between them and the EFL and i can't see that the National League would agree to having only one promoted just to sort out an EFL problem.
TheManFromDelMonte.

He says...........yes.......only 1 relegated from League 2 this season.

But if Bury reinstated, I guess two relegated as usual.

They need to make their minds up pretty sharpish though. (y)

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
NP at all with the Nevilles etc backing a club … But when it comes to the majority shareholder buying the naming rights to a pi$$pot ground the same size as Exmouth's for 10.3 million and then having that as earnings to buy championship / League 1 players on 4k a week to basically buy their way to promotions it takes the pi$$ out of the finanicial fairplay rules !
4/5 years ago they were playing to crowds of 165 now they get crowds in excess of 3k ! is it because locals have recently thought " Oh I'll take in a game at Salford instead of going to Old Trafford / Liverpool or even watching the results come in on the telly " No its because most probably are Sarfender types thinking they can be part of the clubs future while the 92 boys are there.
TBH I hope the owner gets bored pulls out and they end up having to work their way to promotions the same as other teams have to with hard work #SalfordSubbuteoSoccer.
I get where you're coming from, but clubs have to start from somewhere, unless of course we're talking about mk franchise. The likes of Bury, Bolton, etc are founder members of the football league, doesn't mean that small clubs are not allowed to get financial help to make them bigger. As long as the owners are in it for the long term and they make the club sustainable, then what's the issue? As for what they spend, that is down to the rules and regs. As for the fan base, the majority are local, but no different to when the likes of Bolton got to the prem, and they were selling out most weeks, once they dropped down, so did the crowds, which in turn, was the start of all their financial problems. There will be fairweather fans at every club, Bolton for instance had Amir Khan as a 'fan' when they were in the prem, when he appeared on I'm a Celebrity a few years ago, he is now a Man U fan (probably supports Man City now).
I will always be happy with Exeter being a trust run club, but at the same time, I don't see the point in slating a club like Salford, because they have got someone backing them financially and have a long term plan for them. With the amount of clubs that are in a financial mess, or being run badly, it's nice to see a club coming through from the bottom.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
As long as the owners are in it for the long term and they make the club sustainable, then what's the issue?
The issue is that hardly any of these clubs are sustainable.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I get where you're coming from, but clubs have to start from somewhere, unless of course we're talking about mk franchise. The likes of Bury, Bolton, etc are founder members of the football league, doesn't mean that small clubs are not allowed to get financial help to make them bigger. As long as the owners are in it for the long term and they make the club sustainable, then what's the issue? As for what they spend, that is down to the rules and regs. As for the fan base, the majority are local, but no different to when the likes of Bolton got to the prem, and they were selling out most weeks, once they dropped down, so did the crowds, which in turn, was the start of all their financial problems. There will be fairweather fans at every club, Bolton for instance had Amir Khan as a 'fan' when they were in the prem, when he appeared on I'm a Celebrity a few years ago, he is now a Man U fan (probably supports Man City now).
I will always be happy with Exeter being a trust run club, but at the same time, I don't see the point in slating a club like Salford, because they have got someone backing them financially and have a long term plan for them. With the amount of clubs that are in a financial mess, or being run badly, it's nice to see a club coming through from the bottom.
Do you honestly think that the majority shareholder would be interested if the class of 92 weren't in the background ? Not a chance.

My main point was the fact they are side stepping the financial fair play rules by putting in millions of pounds via a loophole in the system AND being allowed to get away with it by the people running the Football League. The media are falling over themselves to give Salford more airtime probably thinking they will scoop an interview with Beckham / Scholes etc etc telling anyone who is remotely interested how " they've always liked the underdog" even though none of them actually supported Salford previously.

If these sort of people want to back the underdog try a team down on their luck with a bit of history !! NO, nowhere to be seen when a founder member was in the poo.
Peter Lim or whatever he's called could have wiped out Bury's debt and not even blinked when signing the cheque.
Salford fc … second only to that lot down the A38.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
HMRC would quite like the money owed to them