• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bristol Rovers v Exeter City Matchday Thread

KentGrecian

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also curious to note many of our singers went to stand in front of the seats in the tent rather than on the terrace, presumably for the acoustics. I can see the logic but seems a bit selfish to deny people the opportunity to sit when there's terracing available. It's hardly as though a tent offers much better acoustics anyway.

I'm fully in favour of going to the back to stand where only seating is an option (it's what I always do), but seems unnecessary when there's a terrace to stand on, even an open terrace with lousy sightlines like you get at Rovers (Bristol and Nailsworth). I can't imagine the open terrace sold out first either.
Singers get wet in the rain just like everyone else.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I know the defence is getting a bit of stick tonight but tonight as far as the goals go I would look more towards the midfield. Archie should have been straight out at Aaron Collins to close him down for the first. The second we had two players defending wide who got nowhere near stopping the cross. The third, Collins should never have reached the penalty area to go over Josh.

We do need to be better at the back and a fit Sam Stubbs would be a godsend. But you defend as a team and attack as a team. Tonight wasn't just down to the back three.
This is spot on. Collins & Kite sat far too deep after half time and GC's decision to bring Stanno on for MJ was odd from a tactical perspective - it left us with a huge hole in the middle which was only filled once Dieng was introduced.

Not much point having the attacking ability of Jev, Stanno and Super Sam on the pitch if we've no means of delivering possession to them through the midfield.

Incredible game though, one of the best away days. But we (GC) should have made it much easier for ourselves.

If Rovers are the standard of a mid table league one side, we've nothing to worry about!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Only time for the goals! Would be nice to see a 5 minute highlights video to see the misses.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Only time for the goals! Would be nice to see a 5 minute highlights video to see the misses.
Looking forward to seeing Blackman's wonder save at 1-0 in the first half.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
This is spot on. Collins & Kite sat far too deep after half time and GC's decision to bring Stanno on for MJ was odd from a tactical perspective - it left us with a huge hole in the middle which was only filled once Dieng was introduced.

Not much point having the attacking ability of Jev, Stanno and Super Sam on the pitch if we've no means of delivering possession to them through the midfield.

Incredible game though, one of the best away days. But we (GC) should have made it much easier for ourselves.

If Rovers are the standard of a mid table league one side, we've nothing to worry about!
A little to add to this:

I was fortunate enough to be taken to the game by a rovers supporting customer. It was a weird being in hospitality surrounded by blue and white. It was very pleasant, but the food wasn’t as good as we have on offer for the same experience at SJP.

With regards to the game, neither team was capable of defending, and both sat back to defend leads… unsuccessfully, surprise, surprise. Barton was tactically outthought in the first half, and rovers offered very little, one magnificent JB save aside. There were huge spaces in the centre of midfield throughout the game, but rovers were scared to push into those 3/4 spaces behind the wing backs and attack the centre backs. On the same note, Barton brought on Sinclair, who did exactly that, and was the fulcrum of the change in the game.

In the end, there were two significant differences between the sides. The first was the goalkeepers. Theirs is directly responsible for conceding two goals (arguably three) against us this season, and thus, the loss of five points for them, gaining 4 for us. On the flip side, Blackman was superb, with two top drawer saves.
The second difference, reflected in the comments from Gas fans afterwards, was that only one manager recognised his team was not defending well, and went on the attack when the game was in the balance. It initially looked to have lost us two goals, and the game, but ended up being match winning. Only one team was set up to win that game after 80 minutes, and City would have scored several more had there been another 10 minutes.

I’m still astounded that, at 3-3, with his goalkeeper looking like having a ricket, Barton didn’t order him to stay back and stop trying to sweep, and drop an old and slow back line, deeper. How the winner would come was plain for all to see, at that point.

GC won that game, and I couldn’t be happier for him, and the players. Stay brave, Gary.

tonykellowfan

The sky highlights are just the goals which is ridiculous as you need to see Blackman's save and the two misses by Stansfield at the end (round the keeper and misses the goal and then hits the keeper when 1 on 1).

Rovers keeper was utter sh1te which was probably why we won.

I don't think Diabate is L1 standard currently, he needs to go out on loan in L2. I'll give Caprice the benefit of the doubt as he has been ill, but the truth is we looked a lot better when those 2 went off and Key and Dieng came on.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Still thinking how you can drive home after a game like that Hants. #Buzzing :)

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Still thinking how you can drive home after a game like that Hants. #Buzzing :)
Driving home after that is… very pleasant. 🤣

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
The other issue is that we struggle with the balance between defence and attack. The two games where we have kept clean sheets under Gary we've done so by being ultra defensive and barely creating a chance ourselves.
That isn't always our doing.