• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bristol Rovers v Exeter City Matchday Thread

onemansview

My home is Chesterfield but my heart is in Tokyo
As I live in Chesterfield I have suffered much grief from Spireites since Caldwell arrived, please head over to Spireites message board and give them some grief on the Caldwell thread...unbelievably chaotic match
Same here, most of my associates are pretty scathing about his time there but I guess they were on a downward spiral at the time.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
A player I don't think has been mentioned is Sparkes. After a very good game defensively on Boxing Day I thought he had another solid game tonight. I said after Monday that it might have been because of different coaching, but I think Gary likes the wing backs to play deeper than Matt did which means they don't get caught up field so much. Played a part in the first goal and stood up well during the 20 minutes in the second half. I really don't know why people keep saying we need a LB. Gary is unlikely to go four at the back and I don't believe there is anyone out there in our price range better at LWB than Jack.
I'm not sure. I thought it was noticeable on Saturday that Sweenz and Hartridge were staying at home more than under MT ans Sparkes seemed to play higher up. I guess it changes depending on circumstances.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Same here, most of my associates are pretty scathing about his time there but I guess they were on a downward spiral at the time.
A wonky spire-al?

dontpassback

That was a good interview from Gary Caldwell,and he knows what we need to do regarding the defence and keeping the ball better.we are mid table in league one and I would have take that,after Matt taylor decided to up and leave and taking some staff with him.it has been a challenge for the new manager,but I think he is relishing the challenge.(Rotherham lost again tonight so it will be interesting to see how Matt taylor copes with that)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Home. What a rollercoaster of a game and emotions. One of the best away games I've been to for a very long time.

Still not sure about Oxford on Sunday, a very different prospect.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

budegrecian

A great win and deserved result based on play and chances created. Our defensive problems are obvious, if not easy to fix. We have a problem in that too many players loose their heads when we concede. The stats show we too often concede a second quickly after losing a first goal. I dont think this can be easily coached out of the squad. It is a confidence thing that probably needs recruitment to help take the load off players who are struggling.

Hopefully this result will give us the much needed confidence we need. I'm sure a few additions will help this wafer thin squad. Onwards and upwards.
I agree with all of this and clearly we need some additions come January.
Whilst we can identify which areas need strengthening, the biggest issue for me is the current lack of leadership on the pitch. Playing 7 or 8 Academy graduates is fantastic in so many ways and is clearly a factor in the togetherness we showed to come back and win the game.
However, good sides have 3 or 4 ‘captains’ in their line up who can lead the team through the sort of dodgy 15 minute spell we had in the second half and have experienced in other games. Last season both Dawson and Stubbs gave us this but I don’t see anybody in the side that provides this at the moment.
A couple of real leaders who can also strengthen the defence will make a serious difference to our prospects, IMO.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
wrong post

Last edited:
Having got home, I'm still not sure what to think.
We seem incapable of holding a lead for any length of time. At 2-nil there was no way we were going to see out the game. As soon as they turned up the pressure and started to run at us, rather than playing long balls, we looked vulnerable.

Having said that we created so many good opportunities, even before the game got stretched in the last 10 minutes. Their centre backs were both slow and yet Barton played them in a very high line. The pace of Nombe and Stansfield meant we were always likely to exploit this.

Add to their goalkeeper who obviously wants to be an outfield player and the game could have easily been 6-3 to City.

A breathless and beautiful evening in Bristol!

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster