• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bristol Rovers v Exeter City Matchday Thread

Grecianpasty

Agreed ran his socks off but that’s all
Good sub but should not be starting
MJ was great again today.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Never the easy way eh.

Joey will be kicking a cat or two tonight.
And his missus will have gone to stay at her mother's for the night ! 😎

Rosencrantz

Mind bending match that. Absolutely deserved the win in my mind, my Rovers mate fully agreed.

Rovers keeper was terrible all game, we constantly put him under pressure, which was self inflicted given that he was spending half his time outside the area.

A word for Jay, I've been really critical of him but I thought he followed up his solid performance v Pompey with a great one tonight. Looks like more of his old self in that role.

My hope is we keep this shape as we look better for it. Well... in attack at least. Defensively good first half fell apart second, this really needs addressing as we've been looking leaky all season under all three managers. No one put in a foot for that third (the pen), and Josh's tackle was terrible. I didn't quire understand why Key came on tbh, looked half arsed throughout and wouldn't put his foot through the ball in 50/50s... does he think he's off?

Nombe was good, but man does he miss some sitters. That one that hit the bar has to be a goal. Same for Stanno, 2 one on ones. Should have been out of sight, but fair play to both Sam and the lads for keeping going until the end. They still have that Taylor mentality. But I think GC deserves credit for his initial set up and for bringing on Dieng at the right time, despite his critics here.

Diabate, I'm not sure he's the sort of CB wants or needs. Could well be out of the 11 come Feb.

Loads to work on but that was such a memorable fun match I don't really care!
I think the illness bug was probably the reason for Caprice going off after playing 90 minutes on Monday under the effects of it. Up against Sinclair as well he looked like he was spent.

red1

What a game !!! We are shambolic in defence but have amazing forward players who can cause any league 1 defence problems. Brown and Nombe are sometimes unplayable.
We need a couple of defenders sharpish. I still maintain Diabate needs time out on loan. Every game he “loses it” at least once or twice which will cost us ultimately. He has the ability, but concentration is part and parcel of being a good defender.

AndyR

Ridiculous match! Our defence is (and has been for most of this season) heart attack material but our resilience, fitness and the quality of our play, particularly further forward got us home.

I thought Jevani Brown was very impressive tonight, Blackman, Kite, Collins all really good as well and Nombe always looked more likely to score than Jay Stansfield. The latter links up the forward play well but unfortunately his miss when through one on one was a shocker.

Good substitutions at the right time by GC and really pleased for him. Bristol Rovers didn't deserve to win and their Goalie looked a liability. Finally, another bizarre and mystifying performance by the Referee.

Fareham Grecian

Nombe was good, but man does he miss some sitters. That one that hit the bar has to be a goal. Same for Stanno, 2 one on ones. Should have been out of sight, but fair play to both Sam and the lads for keeping going until the end. They still have that Taylor mentality. But I think GC deserves credit for his initial set up and for bringing on Dieng at the right time, despite his critics here.
The one that hit the bar took a deflection I think. Otherwise entirely agree - and feel for Stanno who really should have scored two.

STURTZ

To give a bit of balance I thought Hartridge was superb tonight.

Red faced

You have to give credit to GC. He gets plenty of shit when we lose but fair feckin play to him - he went for it tonight and got a massive win. tbh Im pleased for him too, that we won. Hopefully it will give him and the team something to work on

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oxford away anyone?
This will be a real test they have the Indian sign on us at present so we will need to be at our best to get anything from the game.

Hopefully tonight’s game has not taken too much out of our players Sam in particular because we will need to have him firing on all cylinders whether he starts or comes on as a Sub.

Exehausted

Yes Stanno missed a couple but neither was as easy as Rovers miss when they were 3-2 up. A great save by Jamal but he shouldn't have been allowed to get anywhere near it. Cheick just passed the ball to him 8 yards out, very lucky escape!