• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bradford City v Exeter City official matchday thread

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
The radio commentary said it was a dead cert, but Law just completely missed the ball.
I thought it was Seymour who initially missed the ball and then Law put it into the side netting or was that another incident?

denzel

Surely the Parkes red should be appealed? Looks an awful decision

Legohead

Banned
Surely the Parkes red should be appealed? Looks an awful decision
Totally agree. All Parkes did was cover and shield their player and he simply just fell to the floor. Parkes wasn't even really over physical either. That's actually one of the worst decisions i've seen for a straight red. It wasn't even a foul IMO. Ref should have just told their lad to get up and the game carry on.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think the law needs questioning when he's that late although I do think the footballing governing bodies need to understand that football is still a contact sport and that sliding tackles are always going to look bad if the ball isn't won. Either that or you just ban sliding tackles altogether.
As the law stands today a late two-footed sliding tackle will get you a red card. However, it looked mis-timed rather than a reckless attempt to injure the opponent and I'm sure in the past it would have only been a booking.

Larry Wilkie

Highlights from youtube; my first viewing. What the f*** did Maxted have in mind for their first goal? He had to be making some sort of challenge for that cross rather than staying rooted to the spot challenging them to have a go. Very poor goalkeeping which nobody seems to want to mention so far? Oh how we miss Ward. He would have dealt with that cross with little or no problem.

I suspect nobody else mentioned it before as we knew we could rely on you to do so Pete!! I've just had my first look at it, and if you actually look at the height of the ball as it went past Maxted, he would have to be about eight feet tall to been able to make any connection, hence why he started to come for it then changed his mind when he knew he wouldn't be able to reach it, then went to a position on his line where he thought there was a chance of stopping the ball. Unfortunately he was unable to stop it.

Just my opinion of course, as we are all, yourself included, entitled to.

Red Devon

I thought it was Seymour who initially missed the ball and then Law put it into the side netting or was that another incident?

That was late on....there was a chance in first half that I think they described as an air kick that Law had a chance to open the scoring with so they said on commentary anyway

Legohead

Banned
Just seen Soyuncu of Leicester slide tackle into a Palace player and get only a booking. It was a similar tackle to Taylor yesterday but Taylor's was made to look worse than it was by the wet conditions. I still maintain that although it looked bad, allowing for the conditions and that studs were not up and it was simply mistimed that a yellow was appropriate. The ref got influenced by the voiciferous home fans and judging by his subsequent dismissal of Parkes he needs to learn how to judge things from a different perspective and not go with immediate instinct.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
That was late on....there was a chance in first half that I think they described as an air kick that Law had a chance to open the scoring with so they said on commentary anyway
Just watched the ifollow replay. Nicky Laws chance came on the 16th minute. First 25 minutes it was all City swift one touch passing but never testing their keeper. Bradford started to get into the game but did not appear to be carrying any great threat.

Their goal on 31 minutes came completely against the run of play resulting from what seemed nothing more than a hopeful cross in from the right side of the pitch and from what I could see should easily been dealt with by either Maxted or Sweeney.....yet another sloppy goal conceded.

Having said that if that was sloppy on the stroke of halftime there was even worse to come a though ball into our penalty area where firstly Aaron Martin could and should have cleared it the Bradford player managed to get possession but even then either Parkes or Maxted could and should have prevented him from scoring. Probably as poor a goal as I have seen us concede given usually it is a mistake by one individual or a mixup between two whereas this time all three were culpable.

As has been said with keystone cops type defending it would be unfair to blame our strikers failure to score for the defeat although there is a counter argument and perhaps it would be nice for our strikers to give our defence something to defend......just a thought.

Last edited:

Red Devon

Just watched the ifollow replay. Nicky Laws chance came on the 16th minute. First 25 minutes it was all City swift one touch passing but never testing their keeper. Bradford started to get into the game but did not appear to be carrying any great threat.

Their goal on 31 minutes came completely against the run of play resulting from what seemed nothing more than a hopeful cross in from the right side of the pitch and from what I could see should easily been dealt with by either Maxted or Sweeney.....yet another sloppy goal conceded.

Having said that if that was sloppy on the stroke of halftime there was even worse to come a though ball into our penalty area where firstly Aaron Martin could and should have cleared it the Bradford player managed to get possession but even then either Parkes or Maxted could and should have prevented him from scoring. Probably as poor a goal as I have seen us concede given usually it is a mistake by one individual or a mixup between two whereas this time all three were culpable.

As has been said with keystone cops type defending it would be unfair to blame our strikers failure to score for the defeat although there is a counter argument and perhaps it would be nice for our strikers to give our defence something to defend......just a thought.

Apparently Alan Tongue had his head in his hands for the way we gifted them the second goal.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
We played well yesterday though it was one of the most frustrating games of the season to watch because of our inability to take our chances and get the final ball right. We saw last week that Lee Martin wins important free kicks, works hard off the ball and knows how to weight a pass, but he isn't capable of turning a half chance into a goal, and this is what we're lacking.

My other gripe is that the regular centre back pairing has been switched twice at least this season and now has to be switched again. My preference is Moxey/Martin, but all three combinations of the three favoured centre backs have issues. The central defenders and Maxted have just not been good enough in our recent defeats.

Otherwise we lost to a team that just didn't look any better than us, except they didn't commit the errors we did. Some of the football we played first half was superb and we threatened a lot late on as well when both teams had ten men. If Bradford are auto promotion contenders then we are good enough to go up automatically but we do need to improve.