• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
This is unicorn stuff. Whole idea of taxation is supposedly to level up. London doesn't spend all the tax revenue it earns, Cornwall will be a net recipient. Within London, Chelsea and Westminster residents will be net contributors, Dagenham probably net recipients etc.

I have no issue with Scotland as a whole being net recipient of funds......
I do.
The extra funds Scotland receives is not based on need, it’s based on geography.
There is no good reason for the residents of Morningside to given £2K per person more than a resident of Swilly in Plimuff.

Last edited:

lamrobhero

After reading lamrobhero's posts on England, Scotland and the Union, I'm not sure if he's a WUM or Ian Blackford.
Just pointing out what seems to me to be a contradiction. On the one hand people want to argue that Scotland being in the Union is great. Then on the other hand bemoaning the fact that the Scottish economy does not produce enough to support itself which suggests that being in the Union is not great.

tavyred

Just pointing out what seems to me to be a contradiction. On the one hand people want to argue that Scotland being in the Union is great. Then on the other hand bemoaning the fact that the Scottish economy does not produce enough to support itself which suggests that being in the Union is not great.
The issue with Scotland is that it gets more than its fair share.

Alistair20000

And in addition despite the largesse they moan, groan and whinge incessantly.

dontpassback

Lock em all up and throw away they keys,their combined incompetence is staggering :mad:

fred binneys head

That’s disputable. There have been studies that suggest the opposite. Largely depends how you allocate the debt interest. That’s probably why they “moan, groan and whinge”.

tavyred

Nothing disputable about U.K. citizens resident in Scotland receiving circa £2K per head in extra funding.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
I read somewhere that Germany broke that ruling more than any other nation.
Back in Sept 6th (post 16,196) I mentioned that Brussels could easily become as meaningless as Hitler's Reichstag and two weeks later Yanis Varoufakis comes out with this..

IndoMike

Laughable the obsession with Scotland.
If our dang of RWs dislike Scotkand so.much why not just let them.go free.?
Why so concerned about it?

DB9

Back in Sept 6th (post 16,196) I mentioned that Brussels could easily become as meaningless as Hitler's Reichstag and two weeks later Yanis Varoufakis comes out with this..

Blimey Stuffers, agreeing with a very left wing politician who recently founded "Progressive International" with Bernie Saunders and also is a great admirer of Jeremy Corbyn.

"In November 2019, along with other public figures, Varoufakis signed a letter supporting Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn describing him as "a beacon of hope in the struggle against emergent far-right nationalism, xenophobia and racism in much of the democratic world" and endorsed him in the 2019 UK general election.[60] In December 2019, along with 42 other leading cultural figures, he signed a letter endorsing the Labour Party under Corbyn's leadership in the 2019 general election. The letter stated that "Labour's election manifesto under Jeremy Corbyn's leadership offers a transformative plan that prioritises the needs of people and the planet over private profit and the vested interests of a few"

Also if i remember correctly he was totally against Greece paying back their bail out by the EU when he was Greece PM citing "WW2 Reperations" Not one of your usual bedfellows there my old friend and the Daily Express either, Seems like if anyone says anything against the EU, They put it up as truth.