• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bolton Wanderers v Exeter City Matchday Thread

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
As there is a choice of home or away commentary a bit of partiality doesn't go amiss with me.

The fact that Seth Conway and Graham Kirk are obviously rooting for City adds to my enjoyment when I hear the commentary.

Rosencrantz

I think Anthony Wareing (?) and Alan Tonge are pretty good on our northern games. As they are broadcasting primarily for Radio Devon listeners there is always going to be a local bent to the commentary. Moments like Sweenz's goal yesterday and their reaction on comms add to the flavour and reflected the feeling of the majority of those listening.

CWH-NYC_

I think they are a good pairing, fun to hear those accents talking about City from a few thousand miles away.

PeteUSA

I think Anthony Wareing (?) and Alan Tonge are pretty good on our northern games. As they are broadcasting primarily for Radio Devon listeners there is always going to be a local bent to the commentary. Moments like Sweenz's goal yesterday and their reaction on comms add to the flavour and reflected the feeling of the majority of those listening.

Each to their own and all that, but I'm not an Alan Tongue fan. For me he's far too laboured with that 'Hovis' accent, and really cant cut a long story short. We had that kind of accent before with the late Julian Gaunt, but he was fairly tolerable by comparison. I know we're lucky to have somebody to do it, and I accept that, Still dont care for him though. I much prefer a commentator going solo with no side-kick. Alan Richardson is particularly good on going it alone.

Rosencrantz

Each to their own and all that, but I'm not an Alan Tongue fan. For me he's far too laboured with that 'Hovis' accent, and really cant cut a long story short. We had that kind of accent before with the late Julian Gaunt, but he was fairly tolerable by comparison. I know we're lucky to have somebody to do it, and I accept that, Still dont care for him though. I much prefer a commentator going solo with no side-kick. Alan Richardson is particularly good on going it alone.
Leaving accents aside I much prefer having an ex-pro at times. Tonge and Pat Baldwin who used to do home games not long ago are the better ones along with Tully. They have a different insight from supporters and the commentators who together can be a bit "fanzone down the pub" at times. Tonge and Baldwin both communicate well in my opinion. They make a good change from when supporters provide comment of which Kirky stands out as the best.

Each to their own as you say.

Last edited:

andrew p long

Bolton-Exeter on Saturday, ManUtd - Liverpool on Sunday.

The Manchester Evening News report includes details of unhappy Bolton fans breaking into the ground. Now might that just happen again soon or nearby...?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
really cant cut a long story short.
:D

Careful.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bolton-Exeter on Saturday, ManUtd - Liverpool on Sunday.

The Manchester Evening News report includes details of unhappy Bolton fans breaking into the ground. Now might that just happen again soon or nearby...?
Bet Grecians get points deduction for causing stadium invasion and upsetting the 30+ suited & booted who were celebrating with Bolton players during warm up !

dontpassback

Pete,I like Alan’s commentary,and he cant help the fact he was born up north,bit I find him fair and balanced and he played for the grecians so that’s good enough for me

dontpassback

For all his a Scummer, that's one of things that was endearing about Gordon Sparkes. His complete impartiality and passion for what was happening in front of him and relaying the agony and ecstasy across the airwaves.
You can’t deny that sparkes was very emotional about the green uns and a lot of the time it got the better of him,but you can’t deny his passion for them