• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Blessing in disguise?

David Treharne

It's been really wet over night and into this morning. We had about 7mm of rain in the last 24 hours and everything is absolutely sodden because it also rained hard on Friday night. In the event of having played yesterday the state of the pitch would have been even worse. At least the pitch gets a period of rest, and if the temperatures rise during the next few weeks it ought to promote growth to help get us through the rest of the season (OK, so assuming there is such a thing!) on a pitch that has had substantial recovery time that it needs. Of course , potentially it might shorten the time available for a re-lay, but we'll get to finish the season a pitch that suits our current style of play.
Not a substitute for going to the Park, but possibly worth consideration.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
No football on a Saturday is a bit like a bereavement. A bit of an empty feeling about the place, did I take it all for granted? Think we are batter on a better pitch though and we were at a low ebb in our season. Dropping below Slime was a bitter blow we can only hope that the break will treat them badly.
Another bonus is the hope that our long term injuries will return. Woody should be back by April and who knows, even Jack Sparkes should be returning soon if post injury diagnosis was correct.

Oldsmobile-88

No football on a Saturday is a bit like a bereavement. A bit of an empty feeling about the place, did I take it all for granted? Think we are batter on a better pitch though and we were at a low ebb in our season. Dropping below Slime was a bitter blow we can only hope that the break will treat them badly.
Another bonus is the hope that our long term injuries will return. Woody should be back by April and who knows, even Jack Sparkes should be returning soon if post injury diagnosis was correct.
I think Woody may have been penciled in for the U23 Premier Cup game last Monday.
He was at the ground when it was called off at 5.30pm
Take your point about playing well on decent pitches,but the Grecians had lost their way a bit.
Both Northampton & Walsall had good pitches & the team were awful for the majority of those two games

Banksy

Still have a gut feeling this season will be abandoned now anyway with a fresh start next. The country will have a lot of other things on its mind now.

Oldsmobile-88

Still have a gut feeling this season will be abandoned now anyway with a fresh start next. The country will have a lot of other things on its mind now.
Indeed...Can’t see it starting again this side of May & if it does not start again in early May that will be it for this season.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The maintenance team won't be able to do any long term planning. Any ideas of dealing with the drainage issues near the Doble stand could have been done in summer, but we could be playing in to May and maybe June.

Red Devon

Indeed...Can’t see it starting again this side of May & if it does not start again in early May that will be it for this season.
That’s my reckoning too at least that way clubs will have time to prepare properly for next season this idea about rolling the end of this season into the start of next just wouldn’t work in my mind.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pointless speculating at the moment. I know we are all frustrated by events but none of us has a clue what will happen.

The only decision I'm going to make is to undo my recent renewal of BT Sport. Nothing worth watching on it at the moment...

Alistair20000

Pointless speculating at the moment. I know we are all frustrated by events but none of us has a clue what will happen.
Is the right answer.

GJW

Can we have a daily photograph of the pitch, to see its recovery? Especially today, in this glorious weather. Not sure if that's possible but would be nice to see.