• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Billericay Town - one to watch?

Terryhall

So apparently Billericay Town are throwing a lot of money at a promotion push and aim to be in the Football League in 5 years time.

Last season they signed Paul Konchesky and Jamie O'Hara, the BBC now reports that they are about to sign Jermaine Pennant with a weekly wage bill of £30,000 in the 7th tier.

All seems to be backed by one wealthy benefactor, perhaps not as sustainable as the push at FGR, and throwing money at things hasn't necessarily worked out for Eastleigh. Be interesting to watch how they go.

(ps - I did a search before posting but apologies if this is already picked up somewhere and I missed it!)

Legohead

Banned
I saw this report about Pennant today. I find it weird why a footballer who could still quite easily play higher end league football and who presumably has plenty of cash would choose to play in the 7th tier? Good point about Eastleigh too. They are now finding that just chucking money at things can only get you so far and the rest is down to getting in the right staff. The NL isn't a walkover no matter how much cash you have although it shoudl guarantee you will be up there in the mix. That's why Eastleigh have been huge disappointments.

Terryhall

Yep, although at 34 and with a curîous playing CV over recent years perhaps he wasn't getting offers from league sides. Or perhaps Billericay are just paying him silly money, or maybe he has family in the area. Be very interested to see if it pays off though - I can imagine a lot of other clubs at that level would be much more motivated to beat the "moneybags" and I guess that brings its own pressure too.

Agree that Eastleigh have been disappointing - I stopped paying much attention to their results after they sacked Todd though.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Perhaps Jermaine Pennant was just picking up his car?

Spoonz Red E

~~ Germane pennant ~~

Not one to watch at all. If I was minted and bought a club at that level I would hoover up all the quality youngsters with a couple senior pros. Signing Pennant, O'Hara and Konchesky is literally the opposite of that.

Sure they will get a couple promotions but it will all burst.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The team that we played in the FA Trophy between the two Man Utd games. Life and football moves on.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
The guy funding them isn't someone I would give my online banking password to.

https://www.endole.co.uk/profile/profile_new.php?id=15749795

StroudGrecian

Not one to watch at all. If I was minted and bought a club at that level I would hoover up all the quality youngsters with a couple senior pros. Signing Pennant, O'Hara and Konchesky is literally the opposite of that.

Sure they will get a couple promotions but it will all burst.
Indeed. another bunch of Essex wide boys in the Grays/Canvey Island mould.

dontpassback

Indeed. another bunch of Essex wide boys in the Grays/Canvey Island mould.
Yep,spot on,just one of the many non league wide boys who think they can buy there way into the football league.