• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

'BIG' news tomorrow

pct333

Also, has anyone go the email to send thoughts about it?
Rob
Taken from the OS:

[email protected]

ECFC4EVR

Just been up, think the plans look great.

However be prepared for the residents to oppose this; and influx of 500 students to the area isn't something they're happy about.

Unless of course we already have the council onside...
The wonderful council will do whatever the University tells it to do.
You have to feel very sorry for the local residents. There are a number of developments already plus ones in western way (nearly 500), Sidwell st (stoneman), Bishop Blackall site, corner of Well Street. Its hell living here during term time and then deserted in July and August, that is not a community.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
May I suggest the purchase of a quality dictionary? I would have thought the Concise Oxford to be the minimum ... [y]
Call me an old traditionalist but I still prefer Samuel Johnson's work to the Oxford, perhaps I could recommend it to you...

Semantics are the study of the meanings and we weren't arguing over the meaning of the words, the meanings were quite clear, it was Hants inability to use the right ones in the right order that we were discussing...

Last edited:

pct333

Ed Chorlton also stated yesterday that a temporary stand would initially be built in the away end to seat the home fans that usually sit in the old grandstand, while this is being demolished, but did not know how this would impact on the away capacity.
He also said that it was likely to make the away end become an all seater stand, as the fans could be charged more than if it was terracing.
Ed said that one of the reasons why the old grandstand had not been condemned was due to the fact that plans were in place to replace it.

malcolms

Ed Chorlton also stated yesterday that a temporary stand would initially be built in the away end to seat the home fans that usually sit in the old grandstand, while this is being demolished, but did not know how this would impact on the away capacity.
He also said that it was likely to make the away end become an all seater stand, as the fans could be charged more than if it was terracing.
Ed said that one of the reasons why the old grandstand had not been condemned was due to the fact that plans were in place to replace it.
So on that basis, the local MOT centre will grant you an MOT on your old boneshaker cos you are planning to go and buy a new one.

grecianstew

To have reached this stage has clearly been the result of many months - perhaps years - of work, no doubt involving a great deal of descreet meetings and negotiations. I wonder how much of a role Norrie took in these, the experience of the development of the Somerset CC ground is that the role of the Chief Exec is massive.
Congratulations and thanks to all those who have worked so hard on our behalf, either for reward (ie wages) or more likely love of the club.[y]

ECFC4EVR

I take it you attended the recent meetings of the St James Forum? I also hoped that you might have read post#323. What the contentious issue is in St. James, Newtown and
Polsloe is that owner occupied housing is still be turned into HMO's against the wishes of the 73% of the population (in St James) who are renters or owner occupiers. The City Council has already drafted an order which will come into force in 2012 to prevent changes taking place without specific planning permission in St James- and since student numbers at Exeter are rising (and quite fast as well) it would seem to be more acceptable to have students placed together in a 'village like' development than to have more and more housing stock in areas of the City more and more remote from the campus taken over to accommodate these numbers.
There was no evidence of this 'unhappiness' when Ed Chorlton was at the forum and invited local residents to attend this exposition,and the discussions that subsequently took place didn't raise issues of dissent about the redevelopment. Frankly, I'll be happier when the view out of my study window replaces a green monstrosity with something that is more appropriate to the football club I want to support in the 21st century.
Of course that's not to say that the press will not try to make 'factions' appear to be at odds with each other. There's not much mileage in stories when everybody appears to be relatively unanimous about development.
It would be nice if the Uni used some of their green areas to house their students.
I think it is naive to think by building blocks of accommodation the rented properties will go back to owner occupation - yes a few out at the edges of Mount Pleasent but in general a student prefers a house to accomm blocks -fact. Also these blocks are company owned, just google cambell properties and see the rent they are charging for Bishop Blackall. The houses owned by individual lanlords represent better value all round - cheaper and more spacious.
Yes something needs to be done in St James but the councils new planning law is ill concieved (25% of the houses in the road adjacent to mine have sold this year to landlords as residents dont want to be trapped by the new conditions).
Also on one hand the council are saying no more student houses as it is swamping the area but 500 -1500 more in flats is acceptable- bizarre.
Rant over

malcolms

To have reached this stage has clearly been the result of many months - perhaps years - of work, no doubt involving a great deal of descreet meetings and negotiations. I wonder how much of a role Norrie took in these, the experience of the development of the Somerset CC ground is that the role of the Chief Exec is massive.
Congratulations and thanks to all those who have worked so hard on our behalf, either for reward (ie wages) or more likely love of the club.[y]
Norrie used to devour a massive haggis roll every Thursday lunchtime....any role other than that was purely decorational...(I realise its not a word but seems to describe the situation perfectly) Get me Samuel Johnson on the telephone.

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for that. Would seem to be a better vehicle for discussion on the plans than Exeweb. Off to compose an email (or maybe it can wait until tomorrow).

Reggie T42

Cannot Be Serious Cottage, Backside of Beyond, Dev
Norrie used to devour a massive haggis roll every Thursday lunchtime....any role other than that was purely decorational...(I realise its not a word but seems to describe the situation perfectly) Get me Samuel Johnson on the telephone.
Were you better known as 'Mr Happy' in another life OR are you related to ******** genetically?