• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bideford vs Exeter - Devon Bowl Final 2022

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think we need to be realistic here. Bideford are a comparatively strong side in this competition. Only Torquay, Tivvy and Plymouth Parkway come above them in Devon's non league clubs this season. Charlie Hanson was on loan there for most of the season and was in and out of the side. Playing an u17 side with a fair old smattering of schoolboys with no natural striker and a few more missing was always going to be a good physical test against a decent outfit.

I only saw the second half but I thought we defended very well and stood up well to the physicality even when Ed James went off. I am still surprised we didn't keep Dan Preece on as he was impressive in the cup winning u16's and slotted right in tonight. When Bideford did get through Harry Lee showed why he is rated by the club. Two outstanding saves, one right at the end.

Of the players I haven't seen before Aamir Daniels looks like he has something about him. Definitely has the athleticism to do well. Pedro Borges after being isolated up front looked far more comfortable in midfield and looks an interesting prospect.

Penalties were what they were. They weren't really bad pens and the Bideford keeper saved well going the right way each time. All part of the learning process.

The non league scene in the south west is as strong as I have ever seen it at the moment. There are several very decent outfits around. Some of that is down to the better standard of youth development around the area and those players who don't quite make it feeding down. All the better for us to send our young hopefuls out on loan to.
Should we look at the Bideford keeper ?

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Should we look at the Bideford keeper ?
Not when we have Harry Lee 🙂. Decent keeper though.

Rosencrantz

As a comparison, the last time we won this competition in 2019 was against Plymouth Parkway, who are even better now having won the Southern League Div 1 West to join Tivvy next season. Our side that night were billed as an u23 side with the likes of Key, Hartridge, Randall, Kite and Hamon with Aaron Martin and Luke Croll playing centre back. We won 2-1.

Agent Andy

I can’t believe for a professional club that we didn’t have a striker to play tonight . Sonny Cox and Charlie Hanson both watching and both wondering why they hadn’t been picked to play . Put a striker in tonight and we win easy . The Lads played well considering and Our keeper was a cut above

geoffwp

I would imagine they would have both known why they weren't playing.

Arthur Davey

I think we need to be realistic here. Bideford are a comparatively strong side in this competition. Only Torquay, Tivvy and Plymouth Parkway come above them in Devon's non league clubs this season. Charlie Hanson was on loan there for most of the season and was in and out of the side. Playing an u17 side with a fair old smattering of schoolboys with no natural striker and a few more missing was always going to be a good physical test against a decent outfit.

I only saw the second half but I thought we defended very well and stood up well to the physicality even when Ed James went off. I am still surprised we didn't keep Dan Preece on as he was impressive in the cup winning u16's and slotted right in tonight. When Bideford did get through Harry Lee showed why he is rated by the club. Two outstanding saves, one right at the end.

Of the players I haven't seen before Aamir Daniels looks like he has something about him. Definitely has the athleticism to do well. Pedro Borges after being isolated up front looked far more comfortable in midfield and looks an interesting prospect.

Penalties were what they were. They weren't really bad pens and the Bideford keeper saved well going the right way each time. All part of the learning process.

The non league scene in the south west is as strong as I have ever seen it at the moment. There are several very decent outfits around. Some of that is down to the better standard of youth development around the area and those players who don't quite make it feeding down. All the better for us to send our young hopefuls out on loan to.
Spot-on summary 👍🏼
I liked the look of Aamir Daniels down Tavi in the semi, and he again stood out for me.
We were up level with the shoot-out, & the Robins' keeper did a pretty good job of unsettling each of our takers each time. Good learning curve for them.
As others have said, Lee was a cut above; likewise wondering why Cox & Hanson watching a bit further up near the corner with a few girlies, rather than playing...injured?...🤔

Agent Andy

Spot-on summary 👍🏼
I liked the look of Aamir Daniels down Tavi in the semi, and he again stood out for me.
We were up level with the shoot-out, & the Robins' keeper did a pretty good job of unsettling each of our takers each time. Good learning curve for them.
As others have said, Lee was a cut above; likewise wondering why Cox & Hanson watching a bit further up near the corner with a few girlies, rather than playing...injured?...🤔
From what I heard Hanson has been released and Cox not picked for some reason , shame as we would of won with these two .

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
From what I heard Hanson has been released and Cox not picked for some reason , shame as we would of won with these two .
Why has Hanson been released - is ECFC becoming too choosey ?

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bideford goalie X Gargoyle - explains it all !

Arthur Davey

Yep, heard the same re Hanson...
Yep, kinda feel the same...