• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Betting firms and sponsorship

ChrisWickens

Am I correct in thinking that we will not accept sponsorship deals from gambling firms - except those foisted upon us by the EFL and TV companies? Reason I ask is that FGR have proposed a ban of betting firms!

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Am I correct in thinking that we will not accept sponsorship deals from gambling firms - except those foisted upon us by the EFL and TV companies? Reason I ask is that FGR have proposed a ban of betting firms!
We can't all be sponsored by our own company.....

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Indeed. Swampy reputedly puts £2M a year into FGR.

But as a non-gambler I agree with him re. betting sponsorship. "Gamble responsibly" :ROFLMAO: :mad:

Tim Long

denzel said:
I remember doing a survey - might've been from a student at Exeter Uni - where there was a question about 'how would you feel about sponsorship from...' that included, amongst others, betting companies. My answer was that I'd prefer not to but if the club was utterly desperate then take the money and run.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
Doesn’t bother me one jot if a gambling company sponsors us, just as I’m not bothered by alcohol sponsorship or nasty polluting airline sponsorships.

jimbo-gould

I’d prefer we stayed cleared of a betting sponsor. That said, I wouldn’t say no if that was the difference between staying afloat or not.

sign of the chimes

I'm inclined to agree with Dale Vince, but I don't think it's just football that's affected - gambling ads and promotions are everywhere. I was quite impressed a while back that When Saturday Comes magazine decided to no longer take revenue from gambling firms, despite the negative impact it had on the revenue.

I'm partial to the odd flutter, so no puritan, but in a pretty short space of time betting has gone from being a heavily regulated industry (you weren't even allowed to see inside the shops from outside not so long ago), to a free-for-all.

I think some of the stories in recent years of firms incentivising problem bettors, and the (for a long time) unchecked rise in the presence of FOBTs show that this is an area that can't just be left to self-regulate, and where strict controls are required.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
It would only bother me if there was some resulting boycott of goods from the club shop and people stopped buying replica shirts for example.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Didn't we turn down a shorts sponsor a couple of years ago as they were a betting firm because the Trust had already said they wouldn't accept betting firm sponsorship. Caused a bit of a rumpus on here at the time.

WXF

I gamble. It can be addictive and exploitative. Am no prohibitionist but, given The Trust's ethical standards, I'd rather the club steered clear