• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ben Chrisene

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's not "bitter" at all...It's recognising that, with a little thought, these young players could repay the commitment that the club has made and the long hours that were spent, by so many people, in fostering their talents to a level where they had the opportunity. We all know the system and we all should know that its not going to change, so the only way the club can protect their investment is by trying to persuade these kids to sign a deal so the bigger clubs have to pay a proper price...
We have to realistic also that whilst I agree with your principle it probably won't as the youngster is potentially pricing themselves out of a move.

By sticking on long enough to be offered pro terms means we at least aren't on the EPPP System which benefits us better by a small amount but ultimately by putting stumbling blocks in the way of the best young players will potentially put them off coming to us in the first place. Its a horrible balancing act. Ultimately we need to fight and persuade for change in the system.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
We have to realistic also that whilst I agree with your principle it probably won't as the youngster is potentially pricing themselves out of a move.

By sticking on long enough to be offered pro terms means we at least aren't on the EPPP System which benefits us better by a small amount but ultimately by putting stumbling blocks in the way of the best young players will potentially put them off coming to us in the first place. Its a horrible balancing act. Ultimately we need to fight and persuade for change in the system.
When these "best young players" are given places in the Academy, I doubt they have any concept that they will turn out to be "best young players" and indeed, they won't become "best young players" without the time and effort spent by the people at the club...

Boyo

It's not "bitter" at all...It's recognising that, with a little thought, these young players could repay the commitment that the club has made and the long hours that were spent, by so many people, in fostering their talents to a level where they had the opportunity. We all know the system and we all should know that its not going to change, so the only way the club can protect their investment is by trying to persuade these kids to sign a deal so the bigger clubs have to pay a proper price...
By waiting for their scholarships to end, they are in effect doing exactly what you say. If they signed whilst still scholars, they would be transferred under EPPP rules. By waiting until they are old enough for us to offer them a pro contract means that we are able to negotiate with the buying clubs (or go to a tribunal if an agreement cannot be reached).

Grecian Max

Whilst I would love to advance the academy to the next level, I just cannot see that happening. The ongoing revenue costs of advancement are significant and I fear, beyond us.
Interesting, given Crewe and Colchester appear to be both Category 2.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
I wonder if a competitor of my employer offered me 5 times my salary and commision to sell their sports equipment, would I consider it much before accepting?

Bitter? Me? Nah. Good on them.

IndoMike

Malcs,
As a successful businessman you of all people should know that you're not trying to persuade the youngster, you have to persuade the parents
And pray tell me what the club can do or say to persuade the youngster and his family to sign a contract for City in the face of offers of fame and fortune from Premier League clubs.
With respect Malcs if you think the club should do more then I think you're living in la la land.

ryancooper327

But so are Palace, Sheffield United and Leeds.

There are five main areas in which the assessment takes place are as follows:
· Productivity rates
· Training facilities
· Coaching
· Education
· Welfare

Not sure how we score on these but I’d assume the training facilities need to be massively upgraded (I’m sure you need multiple pitches?). Staffing would need to be multiplied. And I imagine even our output, as good as it seems, would need to be increased.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It may or may not be a co-incidence that Crewe lost three-quarters of a million pounds in each of their last 2 sets of accounts and Colchester are around 25 million in debt.

malcolms

I wonder if a competitor of my employer offered me 5 times my salary and commision to sell their sports equipment, would I consider it much before accepting?

Bitter? Me? Nah. Good on them.
Perspective I guess...

malcolms

Malcs,
As a successful businessman you of all people should know that you're not trying to persuade the youngster, you have to persuade the parents
And pray tell me what the club can do or say to persuade the youngster and his family to sign a contract for City in the face of offers of fame and fortune from Premier League clubs.
With respect Malcs if you think the club should do more then I think you're living in la la land.
The point I'm making is that the "fame and fortune" will be still be there a year later if they're good enough. The rules aren't changing Mike so you have to try something different.