• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ben Chrisene

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
According to the Sun, Frank Lampard has invited 15 year old Ben Chrisene to train with Chelsea. I know I should be delighted for him but I can't help thinking "Not that cheapskate load of thieving barstewards again" ! Did he even bother to consult us about this I wonder ?

Colesman Ballz

Perhaps I should qualify my feelings a little. I also believe that Chelsea should be the one of the last options for any aspiring young English footballer. This relates to Abramovitch's hire and fire policy of first team managers, there is no continuity making it doubly hard to succeed. Take Amps for example, Conte believed in him and was prepared to give him chances, replaced by the conservative Sarri who froze him out (Hudson-Odoi even started for England before Sarri would start him for Chelsea) and now Lampard who has sent him out on loan. A club like Liverpool with a manager in for the long haul would surely offer a far better opportunity for progression ?

Banksy

It seems our best bet with these academy players is that they go to a Championship side , improve and show their wares there and then move on up with a good sell on clause to us.This straight to the Premiershite business doesn’t work for us at all .Strangely , we will probably make more out of slightly less gifted players than a much vaunted future prospect like Ampadu or this one. I venture to suggest we will make more out of Ollie Watkins in due course than Ampadu or Chrisene.

IndoMike

It seems our best bet with these academy players is that they go to a Championship side , improve and show their wares there and then move on up with a good sell on clause to us.This straight to the Premiershite business doesn’t work for us at all .Strangely , we will probably make more out of slightly less gifted players than a much vaunted future prospect like Ampadu or this one. I venture to suggest we will make more out of Ollie Watkins in due course than Ampadu or Chrisene.
Think you might be right. Better for the player, too. Just our luck that our player is wanted by Chelsea. Oh well, bye bye Ben. Next please ...

Ex-ciderrr

I think he will be here for the next year, while he’s doing his final year at school, with exams and what have you, possibly feature in and be part of the 1st team Matchday squad during his holidays maybe - quite like Ampadu did, but still play with his age group at Exeter in the u16 u18 u23 (what ever he will play in) sides and be part of England’s international set up for his age group too (which I believe he’s already featured/been part of?). Also expect he will train with our 1st team throughout the season when his time and the club allow him to.

Realistically we’re not going to see much of him though are we, I think I recall Taylor saying in an interview he will be going on trail with other clubs during the season. So he is more or less gone I guess it’s just a question of where? And when.

budegrecian

I think he will be here for the next year, while he’s doing his final year at school, with exams and what have you, possibly feature in and be part of the 1st team Matchday squad during his holidays maybe - quite like Ampadu did, but still play with his age group at Exeter in the u16 u18 u23 (what ever he will play in) sides and be part of England’s international set up for his age group too (which I believe he’s already featured/been part of?). Also expect he will train with our 1st team throughout the season when his time and the club allow him to.

Realistically we’re not going to see much of him though are we, I think I recall Taylor saying in an interview he will be going on trail with other clubs during the season. So he is more or less gone I guess it’s just a question of where? And when.

& more importantly, how much! No doubt the likes of Chelsea & the other premiership vultures will do their best to screw us over, once again.

Ex-ciderrr

There is every possibility of that yes, and I wouldn’t be surprised if I happened again, sadly at our expense.

andrew p long

Of course Ethan went on trial/ training with most of the biggest clubs and was offered opportunities IIRC by Liverpool and Arsenal, but carried on at City till he got his GCSEs done and dusted. It does look as if Ben will follow the Ampadu course rather than Grimes/Watkins or Goss/Ellis.

I think if he hangs on like Ethan until he finishes the academy we may well ( as with Ethan) get more than the derisory 60k fixed EPPP if he leaves before the age of 16 - although of course less than we got for Grimes/Watkins.

At least I can now say I saw Ben Chrisene play live for ECFC. Live I only saw Ethan booked, but never play....

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Live I only saw Ethan booked, but never play....
Cheltenham away.

IndoMike

Exeter City : official scouts for Chelsea FC. We find 'em, we shape 'em, and Chelsea nick 'em, while the toothless EFL stand by.