• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Barrow v Exeter Matchday Thread (take 2) - GAME OFF

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thought the game would be off as soon as I saw the forecast, two days ago. In this digital age with satellites, 7 day weather forecasts compooters and stuff surely somebody could devise a programme that takes into consideration all the data affecting the match, soil qualty, projected wind speed and direction, previous history in similar circumstances and what have you to assess if a game can be played without all the travel, expense and wasted effort. Can't beleive in the 21st century we're still relying on some amateur referee repeatedly hobbling around a frozen pitch every couple of hours and shaking his head.

We know more about Mars than Barrow in Furness.

Alistair20000

To add insult to injury the Scum Gargs are one up at Accrington :mad:

Andy_H

Unless things have changed, he wont get a match fee, just his travelling expenses. Where did he drive from, Wales or somewhere similar?
Probably the furthest most point of the UK 'according' to his claim form, but Ennerdale Bridge in reality!

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
He also said the pitch was playable at 12pm & 4pm.Turned into concrete about 60 minutes before match was due to be played .
Then why wasn't it played this afternoon while the sun was still in the sky? Farcical.

Trapdoor

Then why wasn't it played this afternoon while the sun was still in the sky? Farcical.
Look at it this way, we normally play better once it gets warmer. I dont think anyone would be playing at their peak in -2C conditions with a pitch like concrete. Even if they had somehow got kickoff moved to 4pm, I cant imagine it would have been that much better. At 4pm the players were probably driving past Preston anyway so either way you look at it, it's doomed.

Red red

Well let’s hope the team bonding works and they enjoy a couple of beers so they can go again Saturday

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
For want of anything better to do this evening...Here's my top three ill-fated and wasted journeys to remote parts of the World during Antarctic conditions:

1) Scott (1912)
2) Shackleton (1914-17)
3) Exeter City (2021)
Most droll.

The prow of the little Yelcho, which Shackleton used to rescue his crew, is a monument in Puerto Williams on Isla Navarino. I visited the island and stayed in the southernmost hotel in the world a few years ago.

Yelcho (1906) - Wikipedia

Oldsmobile-88

Well let’s hope the team bonding works and they enjoy a couple of beers so they can go again Saturday
I have a vision of MT down the supermarket getting a few crates of Ale.
The hotel bar will be shut that’s for sure.

Oldsmobile-88

Most droll.

The prow of the little Yelcho, which Shackleton used to rescue his crew, is a monument in Puerto Williams on Isla Navarino. I visited the island and stayed in the southernmost hotel in the world a few years ago.

Yelcho (1906) - Wikipedia
My dad had a drink at Shackletons grave on South Georgia about 10 years ago,it’s some sort of tradition there...Dunno how he managed though,because he is tee total 😁

CC

Scunthore v Bradford abandoned after half an hour...