• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Barrow v Exeter Matchday Thread (take 2) - GAME OFF

DawlishBouy

The info at hand was that the pitch was unplayable at 12pm and the forecast was for minus 1 and below for the rest of the day / night.
Where did you get info saying the pitch was unplayable at midday?
I would assume the pitch was playable when the first 2 inspections were made and then became unplayable.

Andy_H

I hope the ref doesn't look too embarrassed when he gets his £650+ match fee!

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
It must have been borderline playable otherwise he wouldn't have felt the need to constantly check. Utter farce.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I hope the ref doesn't look too embarrassed when he gets his £650+ match fee!

Unless things have changed, he wont get a match fee, just his travelling expenses. Where did he drive from, Wales or somewhere similar?

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Couple of beers and a takeaway for the lads tonight according to Matt Taylor. That should keep the cold out.

He also said the pitch was playable at 12pm & 4pm.Turned into concrete about 60 minutes before match was due to be played .

Squeezebox

Unless things have changed, he wont get a match fee, just his travelling expenses. Where did he drive from, Wales or somewhere similar?
Barnard Castle I believe! :)

GrecianExile

Situations like this simply should not happen, it’s a disgrace.

I get the need to try and get fixtures played but common sense also has to play a part when a fixture involves two teams so far apart in the country. We can all see what the weather has been like, is like and likely to look like. If it’s frozen, goes up a couple of degrees in the middle of the day but temperature going to drop as soon as the sun goes down you have to almost pre-empt the fact the pitch will unlikely be playable so a decision can be made earlier.

if the two clubs are logistically closer, say it was Exeter and newport fair enough leave it as long as you can but not when it involves two teams 326 miles apart. The costs involved for Exeter travelling, also having to travel during a pandemic and risks involved mean it’s simply not on.

I should imagine Barrow have done everything they can to get the game on and it’s officials and the EFL who have to take the brunt of the blame in my opinion.

Heysham Mike

He's from Eston on Teesside

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
He's from Eston on Teesside
Fun driving back across the Pennines. Not.

For want of anything better to do this evening...Here's my top three ill-fated and wasted journeys to remote parts of the World during Antarctic conditions:

1) Scott (1912)
2) Shackleton (1914-17)
3) Exeter City (2021)