• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Barrow A.F.C. v Exeter City F.C. Match Day Thread

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Trying to dodge a bullet with one below the belt.
It isn't below the belt, it's true, I once played against you when you were in goal for Dolton, from memory we put 8 or 9 into the back of your net ! Pete would have had a seizure watching you !

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
This season the club has made the decision that for most away games on a Saturday they travel up on the Friday and stay overnight to then play on the Saturday.

For midweek games they are generally traveling up the day of the game and then stay over after the game and travel back the next day. So the team would have stayed overnight last night and would be traveling back today.
I just think it makes more sense to rest the legs in the 24 hours before the match, not after. If the lads came back down after the match they would probably doze off on the way home and could have rest until Thursday morning. Next game is at home so no travelling again Saturday. I can't imagine Wednesday off would be a tragedy.
Those 3 points lost against Barrow were vital, and every effort should have been made to make sure they started the match well rested. Of course, this is just my opinion and is not an excuse for losing the game : we might have lost anyway.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
We've been poor on many occasions this season overnight stay or no overnight stay, to try and blame some of it on time spent on a bus is pathetic.

Sweeney not getting off the ground to challenge for headers, Atangana not being able to pass water, Seymour being very poor, Bowman being isolated up front, our set pieces generally being shocking are aspects that have nothing to do with the way we prepared in terms of travel etc.

As ever people look for excuses wherever they can find them, it's pathetic.

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

It isn't below the belt, it's true, I once played against you when you were in goal for Dolton, from memory we put 8 or 9 into the back of your net ! Pete would have had a seizure watching you !
That was when I was old and past it (the wrong side of 30 and not getting any younger), hence why I was playing in goal. I would have had a seizure watching me. But having said this, is your memory like your opinion? Full of $4!t?? ;)

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
I just think it makes more sense to rest the legs in the 24 hours before the match, not after. If the lads came back down after the match they would probably doze off on the way home and could have rest until Thursday morning. Next game is at home so no travelling again Saturday. I can't imagine Wednesday off would be a tragedy.
Those 3 points lost against Barrow were vital, and every effort should have been made to make sure they started the match well rested. Of course, this is just my opinion and is not an excuse for losing the game : we might have lost anyway.
Yep, not saying its right or wrong just giving some perspective. There are some sports science professionals that would back up your opinion as well IndoMike. Then there are others that believe traveling up the day of the game, checking into a hotel before the game and relaxing for a few hours, and then staying overnight helps with both the preparation of the game and then also the recovery immediately following the game.

I'm sure a lot of thought has gone into this though. I would assume that with the nature of this season and the fact that it has basically been a game every Saturday, and Tuesday, the club has gone down this route to help aid recovery which has been critical.

IndoMike

Yep, not saying its right or wrong just giving some perspective. There are some sports science professionals that would back up your opinion as well IndoMike. Then there are others that believe traveling up the day of the game, checking into a hotel before the game and relaxing for a few hours, and then staying overnight helps with both the preparation of the game and then also the recovery immediately following the game.

I'm sure a lot of thought has gone into this though. I would assume that with the nature of this season and the fact that it has basically been a game every Saturday, and Tuesday, the club has gone down this route to help aid recovery which has been critical.
Fair enough, Benji. In the end we'll never know which of our opinions would have led to the best performance. You"re right in that both options have pros and cons

jimbo-gould

I do think travelling up the night before would have some marginal effect, otherwise people wouldn’t do it to save their pennies.

When I say marginal, I very much mean marginal. It is not why we lost last night in the slightest.

Andy_H

Fair enough, Benji. In the end we'll never know which of our opinions would have led to the best performance. You"re right in that both options have pros and cons
It's also partially to do with not being able to have the use of changing room showers after the game at a lot. or all, grounds. As luxury as Redwoods [other coach firms are available] is, there is no substitute for a good nights sleep in a proper bed to aid recovery.

denzel

Maybe we ought to try and link up with one of the rail companies. Travelling by train is always far more comfortable.
Or even an airline....

IndoMike

It's also partially to do with not being able to have the use of changing room showers after the game at a lot. or all, grounds. As luxury as Redwoods [other coach firms are available] is, there is no substitute for a good nights sleep in a proper bed to aid recovery.
That's a fair point.