• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Barrow A.F.C. v Exeter City F.C. Match Day Thread

Boyo

The players would have arrived back in Devon late on Saturday. They would probably have had a light training session on Sunday and then proper training/preparation on Monday for Barrow at the Cliff. They spend the day travelling on Tuesday, probably with a sizeable break or two on the way to really stretch legs and then stop over in Barrow and travel back Wednesday having had a decent night's kip/recovery.

By travelling on Monday they wouldn't have had that proper training session/preperation on Monday and they would have spent Tuesday day kicking around the hotel, bored. By travelling back immediately after the game they would have arrived home in the early hours of Wednesday knackered.

Makes sense to me.

rooecfc

The players would have arrived back in Devon late on Saturday. They would probably have had a light training session on Sunday and then proper training/preparation on Monday for Barrow at the Cliff. They spend the day travelling on Tuesday, probably with a sizeable break or two on the way to really stretch legs and then stop over in Barrow and travel back Wednesday having had a decent night's kip/recovery.

By travelling on Monday they wouldn't have had that proper training session/preperation on Monday and they would have spent Tuesday day kicking around the hotel, bored. By travelling back immediately after the game they would have arrived home in the early hours of Wednesday knackered.

Makes sense to me.
Could they not train Monday morning and travel up after?

Ex-ciderrr

However we have rested/recovered, trained or travelled the result doesn’t change, it is what it is - yet again we’ve lost, played poorly and this time we’ve done it vs Barrow.

Legohead

Banned
We had a weeks rest after the poor home loss to Cheltenham and then proceeded to go up to Tranmere and still put in a stinker and barely registered a meaningful attack. Scoring with our only chance created via Randall. That was after a full weeks rest. They are bottle jobs. Plain and simple. As is MT.

SimonBB

It isn't below the belt, it's true, I once played against you when you were in goal for Dolton, from memory we put 8 or 9 into the back of your net ! Pete would have had a seizure watching you !
In fairness he travelled from Newcastle that morning.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
They are bottle jobs. Plain and simple. As is MT.
Rubbish

Ash

Have you ever played having travelled to a game on a coach for even a couple of hours? I have and it is mind and body numbing. I'm sure I read at the start of the thread the team left at 9am for a trip that lasted 7 or 8 hours. The lads would have had a 45 minute break for driver regulations, other than you can't get up and have a wonder about and stretch your legs like you can on a train. So seven sat in the same spot (personally I've never found coaches that comfortable). Why do you think clubs travel up the day before when affordable?
Ian you are absolutely right but why on earth isn't it affordable for us? We've got the Ollie money so surely a bit of chump change for a Premier Inn isn't beyond us FFS

grecIAN Harris

Yep, not saying its right or wrong just giving some perspective. There are some sports science professionals that would back up your opinion as well IndoMike. Then there are others that believe traveling up the day of the game, checking into a hotel before the game and relaxing for a few hours, and then staying overnight helps with both the preparation of the game and then also the recovery immediately following the game.

I'm sure a lot of thought has gone into this though. I would assume that with the nature of this season and the fact that it has basically been a game every Saturday, and Tuesday, the club has gone down this route to help aid recovery which has been critical.
Which is fine and goes along with what I was saying we try to do with my daughter (minus the hotel bit) but it sounds like we left at 9am and got up there not much more than an hour and half before kick off.

Red Devon

The team didn’t lose the game at Barrow because they were sluggish or lacking in energy after being sat on a coach for half the day...in fact we started the game very much on the front foot spending practically the whole of the first five minutes attacking the Barrow goal, after that we couldn’t put two passes together for much of the remaining game...also the players go through a pretty intense warm up session these days lasting up to 30 minutes before kickoff any cobwebs due to being sat on the coach for a long time would be blown away during the warm up period.